Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently July 22nd, 2017, 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Yeah, Well; Sorta, Kinda, But...
New postPosted: July 11th, 2017, 9:34 pm 
Registered Users

Over the past 4th's celebrations, had a chance to chat-n-chew with some music-minded folks. The whippersnapper dee-jay, ever playing to his crowd, seemed to recognize that as the evening wore on, Us -- Heh! -- elders got to mixing it up when he put on a cut from Plano, Texas' Sly of The Family Stone. The subject of guitarists came up; and, folks, it was on!

One music man, who said he was a guitarist, bragged on Stevie Ray Vaugh. And then, shocking me, mentioned Jimi Hendrix! Twang. Damnmit, Twang, I reeled. But after I recovered , I mentioned that Boz Skaggs also hails from Plano. He really reeled.

It was then that I waved a baton and led the orchestrations: Told 'Em that I had once was on an interview -- group of us rather than one-on-one -- of Little Richard and learned, among many other interesting things, that his management had a stand-offish on-again; off-again relationship with one Jimi Hendrix, one cat that could light up a guitar as if he was born with one. And the irony is -- not for myself this time; rather for them -- both had an affinity for New Orleans and both once had 'Em gettin' their grooves on at City Park! Yet, as much as the two offered to Our ears, they -- and neither Fats nor Allen Toussaint -- did not make this list. Lemme cue up the RCA Victor phonograph:

http://www.nme.com/photos/the-50-best-s ... er-1419009

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Yeah, Well; Sorta, Kinda, But...
New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 1:50 am 
Registered Users

Interesting lineup. Just shows to go you, there's no accounting for taste. Or better to say, de gustibus non disputandum, there's no arguing about taste.

There are only 15 of those albums that I either have bought or would consider buying. Of course, nowadays there's so much free music out there on youtube or the audio collection at the internet wayback machine archive, you hardly need to pay for music.

Simon & Garfunkel, Iron Butterfly, Carol King, ABBA, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, the Boss, Sgt Pepper, the Beatles, Zep, Rumours, Dirty Dancing, Eagles, and Meat Loaf make my list.

Mostly what I've been listening to lately is from New Orleans or at least from Louisiana. My little matchbox size MP3 player that's in the car now has nearly 1,000 of them, and when I copied stuff to it I didn't have the patience to dig out all the local stuff I have.

I think we were really blessed to have grown up with New Orleans music from the 1950s and 1960s. A lot of it never made national charts. Some of it went regional, back in the days when the juke box circuit meant something. Much of it stayed home. But all of it is part of our rich New Orleans cultural heritage, which I cherish.

If you "axe" me who's the queen of soul, it ain't gonna be Aretha; it's Oima.

New postPosted: July 12th, 2017, 7:07 pm 
Registered Users

Woof, woof, er, Ruuuf, Ruuuf-- well, OK, Mr. Thomas could sho'nuff Walk That Dog!
Oh my, my Good Sir; I must retrains myself before I carry on carrying on: Led Zepplin takes me away -- to any day -- when I hear "Stairway To Heaven." The Eagles -- I've never looked into who writes their music; tho I suspect the group does -- but any ear, no matter that ear's favorite genre of music -- could hear The Eagles' lyrics reflect Life!. LIFE!
I re-call, er, re-wind to time when a female (will never ever call her a woman) cheated on me to the point of me leaving her. I had no proof, but her eyes -- One's windows to the soul, I say -- would become shifty, unfocused when not pressed, but merely asked about various things...My reads of her eyes were right: she was a cheater, and One who was caught-- caught by another set of eyes, and they were not lying: I happened to be in the very hotel where my girlfriend and her secret lover were staying, a smallish North Florida city. The bartender recognized me and said 'I hope you and that lovely lady are enjoying yourselves."

Well, I called my tab; paid up and went back to my room. The nerve of her. And I moved to another hotel. All of the time, as I knew, well, suspected, her Lying Eyes had been telling this story'

On the upbeat, chawlie; I hear that The Eagles are planning a "final" tour.

And chawlie, I can't leave this without this aside: Down in The Piney Woods of East Texas, I once held forth with some folks that The City Of New Orleans yoosta have more recording "studios" in homes than some cities had in total. "Ah, Benito (an old nickname) "C'mon man; you're making that up, right,?"

"Hardly," I'd say, "Go visit New Orleans. And listen!!"

New postPosted: July 18th, 2017, 11:16 am 
Registered Users

Don't forget, WWOZ streams live and I am a proud"Guardian of the Groove". The Brazillian show is very good on Sat. at 2PM central. I also love Celtic music and it is on Sat, 10-11:30 AM.