Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently May 27th, 2017, 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Restaurant Review - E Star Chinese Buffet, Houston
New postPosted: May 18th, 2017, 3:08 am 
Registered Users

Here is another restaurant review, since some have observed that they are getting scarce, although not many of our regulars might go there. This place is near the Willowbrook Mall in NW Houston.

Good Food, Good Value, Good Service

We arrived Friday night around 9 o'clock for a post-graduation meal, a party of 14, well, actually, 13 adults, one child, and one infant. They gave us a separate semi-enclosed room, which was a nice touch, and offered to cook more of anything we wanted if what was out on the line ran out. Everybody found many selections to enjoy, got as much as they wanted, and got it quickly, all of which are the main reasons for going to a buffet. Beverage service was prompt and frequent. The quality of the food was first rate, and the service was better than expected. They close at 10, but even when we were the only customers left and the staff was busy cleaning house, they didn't rush us in any way. I would not hesitate to recommend this place.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Restaurant Review - E Star Chinese Buffet, Houston
New postPosted: May 18th, 2017, 11:04 am 
Registered Users

I'm not a fan of buffets...with one exception
Get there as they open the door...
Even then you can run into leftovers.

With that said on my next trip to Houston I'll keep an eye out for it,
If not only because of your recommendation but
to escape the 80 Zillion Mexican Restaurants

It seems like you really enjoyed the outing...
and Congrats to the Graduate.

aboy

New postPosted: May 18th, 2017, 7:22 pm 
Registered Users

Thanks from these quarters, chawlie; and echoing aboy: Congrats are certainly in order.

Chawlie, this might seem selfish, but here, One never knows since We have many Ones who still roam Hither and Yon-- and, likely, often to Houston. Thus, on a personal note:

Do you know if The Palm Restaurant (was sorta in the CBD on Main St.) is still open? (Seafood & steaks there)...Now, I promise I won't mention A- - - a A - - - r; so I ax is Busch Gardens still open? Enjoyed many, many a freebie munchies down that way in The Bayou City!...And since most -- if not ALL of us Ones loves a festival, I must ax Is The Westheimer music and Arts Festival still parading?...Oh, and, lemme get back down on da flo', I recall that once while living in San Antonio, that the flight from the Alamo City to Houston was quicker than the drive in the rental out Westheimer to South Houston.

And, chawlie, it seems that E-Star is no longer an "ancient" Chinese secret! ;) :) :D .

New postPosted: May 19th, 2017, 9:46 am 
Registered Users

Sorry to plead ignorance on all counts. I bought the house in Houston only two years ago, and have spent fewer than 100 days there in total, mostly NW Houston. My family members are a bunch of stay-at-home sticks-in-the-mud. Last week I couldn't get them out for a long-planned day trip to U.T. Saturday or half day in Galveston Sunday.

New postPosted: May 19th, 2017, 9:00 pm 
Registered Users

Just thought I'd ask; but not nary a problem. Your post just sorta nudged me down that way for a few melancholy-ish moments. Still, the thing is from these quarters, I still say you've served Us Forumites well since, as noted, who knows when One will be down in and around Harris County. Am bettin' howsomever, that during somma dose 100 days, you have managed to plot out some gardening space!

New postPosted: May 19th, 2017, 10:47 pm 
Registered Users

Again, no such luck. My 75-year-old Filipina mother-in-law has taken charge of all available gardening space in the back yard. The front doesn't get enough sun to grow anything much. Her attention wanders, however, and her gardening habits are different, to put it euphemistically. So far she has grown bitter gourd and sweet potatoes. Interestingly enough, she has not dug up a single sweet potato, not even after a winter freeze killed all the plants, at least the portions above the ground. She uses the tender youngest leaves to cook with. The sweet tater vines have totally taken over the back garden. I keep telling myself I'm going back there to dig out some sweet taters one of these days.

New postPosted: May 21st, 2017, 8:30 pm 
Registered Users

I repeat...

You're a good man chawlie!

aboy