Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently September 24th, 2017, 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Let's talk SAGE...
New postPosted: July 17th, 2017, 7:32 am 
Registered Users

aboy wrote:
LeeInChicago wrote:
Arthur, you should be able to find fresh sage at a farmer's market or grocery store.

I have seen it at Winn Dixie and Rouse
but it's usually a bit more than I would use at one setting.
Does it last long in the fridge?

BTW: That homemade ricotta stuffed ravioli sound great.

aboy

if it is really fresh, you might get 2 weeks out of it. if it is packaged in the store like meat, ask them to make you a smaller package. if they get enough such requests they will realize that they are pre-making the packages too big

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: July 17th, 2017, 12:13 pm 
Registered Users

Thanks for the discussion...

I tried Sage on my eggs this morning...
Not bad but I'll stick to S&P.

Thanks Lee..
I'll keep and eye out in the store
Two weeks is a long time in the aboy fridge
We'll figure some uses...
Especially chicken ...Maybe pork :?:

As the old Kitchen SAGE once said...
"Like the SUN... May you Rise, Smile and Shine"

aboy

New postPosted: July 17th, 2017, 5:03 pm 
Registered Users

Good luck aboy. I'm still ambivilent about sage usages other than for poultry ; but for eggs, unless they or deviled or something like that, only salt and pepper is needed. I've tried some ground sage in omelets twice. Both times, even under different cooking temps, the sage did not work. Both finishes were edging on an off-putting taste; almost a bitterness. Might have been User Error, but.....

New postPosted: July 17th, 2017, 6:24 pm 
Registered Users

CittiS wrote:
Good luck aboy. I'm still ambivilent about sage usages other than for poultry ; but for eggs, unless they or deviled or something like that, only salt and pepper is needed. I've tried some ground sage in omelets twice. Both times, even under different cooking temps, the sage did not work. Both finishes were edging on an off-putting taste; almost a bitterness. Might have been User Error, but.....

I suspect that the ground dried sage would be way too bitter for eggs.

New postPosted: July 17th, 2017, 6:27 pm 
Registered Users

Here is some of my dried sage. Just before the summer heat got to them, I picked and washed the leaves, and layed them out on a cooling rack to air dry.
Aboy, when you buy sage at the store, put the stems in a glass of water. They will last longer. I do this for green onions, Romaine lettuce, etc. When you see the sage is starting to go south, pick the leaves and just lay them out on some paper towel. In a couple of days they will be dried and ready to go.

New postPosted: July 18th, 2017, 6:01 am 
Registered Users

Lee: seems you might have nailed my "User Error" thing. That bitterness cause seems to be on point.

JimZ: you mentioned putting your fresh sage in water. Might there be a connection here? : I new of a florist who allowed about putting fresh plants in water; and he even said 7-up, of all things, worked very well. This was back during a time when I would get down and very dirty in gardening, so I asked him about using herbs with his methods. "Yes!" he screamed. "You can use 7-up or ginger ale; but don't use no coke [Coca-Cola] though; and the sprigs will be even more tastier." A plea to gardeners here on this "wet" method. JimZ already confirms what water can do; but 7-up? Ginger ale?

My gardening days, alas, are over; no question. Heck I can re-wind to some days when I would get down and very DURTY using no gloves, seeking to feel of the soil in my hands. Look, my Dear Forumites; I'm in a rather pensive mood of late; and it is ironic that come this weekend, One of Mrs. C's' brother and wife are coming in for a week-long visit from California.
His wife loves sage on chicken. I really like the herb and seeks to try it in other ways.

Don't know if I'll be able to cobble up some other sage-related eats for them, but for future use, I'm asking Y'wall (echoing aboy) for more talk about sage.