Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently September 21st, 2017, 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Holy Chicharrones, Batman! Let's Get CRACKLING:
New postPosted: September 12th, 2017, 10:38 pm 
Registered Users

Yessiree Bob anf Yess'um Bobette: I can get cracking over cracklings. I love them in all which-a ways,'specially with a bag of 'em and a handy bottle Crystal's.

But during a second conversation with my former employee about tacos and tamales -- she had called me back to arrange a meet-up -- and the conversation went almost all things Tex-Mex, Mex Mex, Hispanic and Chicano. Chicharrones are a staple snack food for those preceding tastes; for true. But she had her an huge laff when I mentioned she had hit my Creolish soul, about frying stuff in lard. "Mr. Ben; what is it?" she asked, almost coming thru the phone. I said 'Dear Lady, you have no idea how far back lard and fraying and cracklings go back in parts of my family."

'Nuff said: I'll take Y'awll back to Yester Year when some of our family would set down to some warm crackling bread. Over time, it was 'Pass the molasses' then 'Pass the sorghum,' then 'Pass the Steen syrup." And on some of those days right after the Forst Of The Month, we could afford some spare butter to slather.

And of often have my CRAFT moments and will need a neat shot of WD-40, but re-winding to crackling bread, also re-winds me, of course, back to music: I can recal, as we older children grew, momma'nem would use a song to put one of young one to sleep and sing "'Mamma' little baby loves cracklings, crackling..." And -- GR74%$#*&^_*+$! -- sometimes they'd sing the damn song and there wouldn't be no crackling bread on the table!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Holy Chicharrones, Batman! Let's Get CRACKLING:
New postPosted: September 13th, 2017, 2:21 am 
Registered Users

The other day I joined a Cajun French group on FB, and one of the posts mentioned gratons.

Lord help me, I love them, as bad as they are for me.

The fresh ones you buy in SW Louisiana at any little grocery or specialty meat market have a little meat, and seem undercooked, with not all the fat rendered or puffed. I don't mind the meat, but the fat detracts from my enjoyment and usually means I eat only a handful or so.

The commercial kind in cellophane bags, however, are much more light and puffy. I can eat a whole bag.

We're planning a trip to SW Louisiana next week.

Lord help me.

New postPosted: September 13th, 2017, 1:54 pm 
Registered Users

one of my Filipino friends showed up for our group dinner and movie nights with a great snack which was the chicken skin version from the Filipino market near where he lives. We heated them in the oven to re-crisp them and they were better than popcorn.

New postPosted: September 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm 
Registered Users

Pork crackling the new health food?
http://www.livestrong.com/article/53984 ... crackling/

New postPosted: September 14th, 2017, 8:19 pm 
Registered Users

I have never bought cracklin in a bag. How ever, I have tasted and enjoyed them when other friends shared theirs with me. Growing up and into my adult life, roasting a fresh pork picnic, the first thing you ate was all that crisp skin that covers a fresh pork picnic. For years I have taken the skin you trim off chicken thighs and bake them first till they are nice and brown and crisp, then season and enjoy. Now I will have to buy a bag of cracklin and get addicted.

New postPosted: September 16th, 2017, 2:26 am 
Registered Users

Tee-hee, JimZ: git'cha a bag, before chawlie buys 'em all out of house and store! :) :D

Double Tee-hee, Lee: chicken skins as popcorn? A novelty to these eyes. LOL.

But lemme tell Y'awll one of the many things I know about chicken skins: Aside from a pierced can of dog food (which is illegal for fishing use in Texas) we would use chicken skins for bait. The roiling water would make One think there's a school of piranha feeding below.

And frank: thanks for the 'tips.' Ya cracked open some interesting info for this crackling lover.

Oh. And chawlie, wave at 'Em, please, down over dere in South West Louisiana