Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 16th, 2017, 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Lollygram - Salt on Watermelon: Yes or No?
New postPosted: October 5th, 2017, 7:08 pm 
Registered Users

Thanks, Lee. About the recipe; I'll see if our Aintee Sharon can find one off for you. (I do have an aside about canning: I've wondered why the name 'canning' when the process was/is used with jars.

Otherwise, my, er, saline solution is to use Morton's Lite--lightly.

And some levity as meddle with U.S. Navy: Had two uncles and my birth son all serve the Navy. And I would chuckle as they would tell naval stories when home on leave. No matter their age, they would give some hefty guffaws on hearing the term "You old Salts." Ah, those ancient-mariner tales from the briny!

Regards to All; and stay well: From an Ol' Salty Dawg!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: October 5th, 2017, 8:55 pm 
Registered Users

LeeinChicago I also questioned canning watermellon. I have canned watermellon rind but not watermellon per se. But I did find a few recipes for you at: http://www.watermelon.org/TheSlice/How- ... Watermelon

New postPosted: October 6th, 2017, 10:52 am 
Registered Users

Frank wrote:
LeeinChicago I also questioned canning watermellon. I have canned watermellon rind but not watermellon per se. But I did find a few recipes for you at: http://www.watermelon.org/TheSlice/How- ... Watermelon

thanks I'll check it out

New postPosted: October 12th, 2017, 6:19 pm 
Registered Users

I used to put salt on my watermelon, but now I prefer to not add salt.

I once knew somebody who actually put salt in his TEA!!

New postPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:09 pm 
Registered Users

"TEA"?...Well looky here: the Forum just "bagged" another MIA poster. Welcome back, my dear buddy, you young "cat" you...As as this Forum indicates, tastes -- an most al foods -- vary in degrees to the nth! Period. Amen.

Once knew -- no heresy here -- a gent who took only green tea and he, without fail, would take his tea with lemon, honey and -- yes, this is a s-t-r-e-t-c-h on watermelon juice usage -- Jolly Ranch Watermelon drink. In public, he'd take along some Jolly Ranch Candy pieces.

Meanwhile, an update: Had lunchety two weeks ago at The Circle Grill. Learned Mrs. Cathy has sold the place. Don't know if You've ever been to The Circle Grill (which has new owners now); but the affable Mrs. Cathy also owned The Original Market Grill which, I believe, you have visited. I don't know if that property was sold; but I suspect so because I learned the she wanted out of the business.

Too, recently passed my ownself's self by Papadeaux, our original meet-up and passed on by 'cause I was late for an appointment.

Well, Dear Buddy, lettuce hope that when El-Ess-Yew tees off, the Tigers' deeefense can poush 'em back, waaaay back, I can just "see" you tailgatin' with some hot boudin. Yumeee! I think of you often. And was especially concerned about You and Yours during the storms. My cousin-law and family were wiped out in Gonzales!!!!!

But next time I "do" me some crab cakes with a "side" of couple of cold-to-the-teeth Abita Ambers. Show your "face" in da place more often: You are, never forget, the Cat's Meow! Be well, be safe: Regards to You And Yours.

New postPosted: October 12th, 2017, 7:19 pm 
Registered Users

Citi. I was just trollin' ya a little bit because I thought you were the one that told me to try salt in my tea. HA! HA!

I never went to The Circle Grill. But you're right, I did go to The Original Market Grill for breakfast 3-4 times when I had that class in Dallas - they had darn good biscuits!

Papadeaux! That was fun and turned out to be an ok place - for a chain!

Regarding LSU, I would like to start the season all over again. It hasn't gone so well!

I did not flood but half my coworkers and friends did. I hope your folks are back on their feet.

Yes, I will try to post more often. I've said that before but maybe it will stick this time. I gotta to Dallas one of these days so we can hang.

New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 11:23 am 
Registered Users

tigersbh wrote:
Citi. I was just trollin' ya a little bit because I thought you were the one that told me to try salt in my tea. HA! HA!

Regarding LSU, I would like to start the season all over again. It hasn't gone so well!

Watching LSU play this year I see the same thing over and over - a great run or pass play/score - negated by some team idiot off in a corner "holding" or "fouling".