Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Bill Penzey
New postPosted: December 6th, 2017, 8:41 pm 
Registered Users

Thanks again, frank.

Some interesting references provided there, including the world-renown Reuters Agency. Still Our very own renowned AMA has had numerous 'professional' set-tos with the FDA and even with some of its own member researchers about the various effect of foodstuffs intakes. Moreover, I'd hastily harken back to the Days Of the Late Lyndon Baines Johnson who shoved federal dollars into the War On Poverty.
With fed dollars almost blowing in the wind, many dollars did indeed go towards feeding the less fortunate amongst us. But hark, many scam artists blew many of those bucks into their tills, citing the benefits of this or that poll.

I'm not sure, but it just might have been that during those days We were initially fed the term 'Talking Heads.' And our collective heads were fed this and that, mostly pressed by lobbyists for this or that poll or product!.

Frankly frank, I'll do now what I wanted to do in my initial post Penzey's Plan seems to be a P - - - y Scheme.

An aside: On HEB: During time in San Antonio, I mostly made groceries at Handy Andy; not only more sales there, but they also sold beer and wine.

But the founder, the late Mr. Henry E. Butts vowed that as long as he was alive none of his stores would sell alcoholic beverages. But I'd often shop at HEB because it was closer to where I lived and they often had many loss-leaders advertised...And another aside: The one HEB I now of just north of Dallas sells -- Holy Muffaletta, Batman! -- Olive Salad.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: December 6th, 2017, 10:39 pm 
Registered Users

Citti, my go to condiment at Central Market is red bell pepper stuffed martini olives :mrgreen: .

New postPosted: December 6th, 2017, 11:22 pm 
Registered Users

Quote:
I am jealous of this arrangement. The only place I know of in Chicago that does this makes Penzey's price look bargain basement.

Lee are you talking about the Spice House on Wells? If so the owners of the Spice Houce and Penzys are brothers.

New postPosted: December 6th, 2017, 11:23 pm 
Registered Users

Frank wrote:
Citti, my go to condiment at Central Market is red bell pepper stuffed martini olives :mrgreen: .

may I ask what you soak those in? ;)

New postPosted: December 6th, 2017, 11:26 pm 
Registered Users

Quote:
may I ask what you soak those in? ;)

A very nice Waterford Lismore brandy sniffer with ice and EtOH.

New postPosted: December 7th, 2017, 12:45 pm 
Registered Users

Frank wrote:
Quote:
I am jealous of this arrangement. The only place I know of in Chicago that does this makes Penzey's price look bargain basement.

Lee are you talking about the Spice House on Wells? If so the owners of the Spice Houce and Penzys are brothers.

no, I am unfamiliar with that place and will check it out. There is a place here in my neighborhood that is nearby. The name of the place escapes my mind at the moment.

New postPosted: December 7th, 2017, 7:41 pm 
Registered Users

Mercy me, this Forum. I must shout: THIS FORUM!

Frank, I love shopping at Central Market! An aside: It was there, the one off Upper Greenville Ave., that first discovered purple potatoes (harking back to the baked potato thread here, the thread that reminded me of Central Market.)

Anyways, what irony it is that you put olives in your brandy. While brandy is a staple on our bar (mostly E&J, but once and again when visitors are in, we'll do a bottle of Courvoisier or some other pricey brand. Heh. But funny thing is, many of those same visitors will ask for Ernest & Julio Gallo!

But often, I'll put garlic-stuffed olives in a couple of shots of E&J, neat. :D

And another source for garlic stuffed olives is the Greenville Ave. branch of Goody Goody's Spirits Wine & Beer, although I use most of my garlic stuff olives for bloody marys, with a sprig of celery.

Rewind alert: Oh the times, with work already done, I'd while away the afternoon taking up space and sipping on some bloody marys (I only had two, occifer! :oops: ) at the late, giving grunch's jernt, Molly's At The Market. R.I.P, Mr. Jim Monaghan, a curmudgeon if there ever was one, but hardly a grunchy grinch

New postPosted: December 7th, 2017, 8:47 pm 
Registered Users

Citti, I actually add my olives to a martini made with cheap New Orleans vodka. The only thing expensive is the glass.

Lee. https://www.thespicehouse.com/spices/ch ... gIQG_D_BwE

https://www.thespicehouse.com/stores/ev ... pice-store