Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 18th, 2018, 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bad Week With Food Storage Problems
New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 4:11 pm 
Registered Users

I've been having a bad week when it comes to food storage.

While watching my weekend football, I put a couple of sausage links in the microwave, and then went for my package of hot dog buns. Only two had been used previously - six were left in the package. When I opened the package, the remaining buns were covered with the dreaded blue mold. :o

I trashed the buns, and reached for my white bread, a half a loaf which was still unused. Upon opening the wrap - the blue mold had struck again. :o

I heated a can of baked beans, threw in the sausages, and had my lunch that way.

This morning, I made a great veggie omelet, put it on my plate, and reached in the fridge for a jar of Pace Medium Hot Salsa. The jar was about 2/3 fill. When I twisted off the cap, I heard a loud PSST sound, the same I hear when twisting the cap off a bottle of soda. The jar of salsa followed the buns and bread into the trash bag. :o

IMHO this stuff wasn't that old - maybe 1-2 weeks. :x

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad Week With Food Storage Problems
New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 5:12 pm 
Registered Users

Bummer!

Did you refrigerate the buns and bread? I usually do, living alone, even though "they" say it's bad for the bread, and I agree, but not as bad as mold. I also freeze bread products if I don't use them often, which isn't nearly as bad as refrigerating bread.

It's hard to believe the salsa went bad, with no oil, fat, sugar, etc, just vegetibbles. Before the holidays, around the 15th, I had made a batch of black bean and corn salsa (with a can of each), also containing a jar of Pace medium salsa, along with a chopped purple onion and a chopped bunch of cilantro, and the juice of a lime. This recipe came from a NOFD firefighter, and it's a favorite, with baked Tostitos scoops. I refilled the Pace jar with it, put the jar in the fridge, and ate the rest before I went home on vacation. When I got back on the 4th, the jar was still good. Sorry to hear your salsa sperled.

New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 5:48 pm 
Registered Users

I'm back to putting the bread in the fridge.

I have to try your salsa enhancement. I have a can of black beans. Is the corn you speak of just crisp corn? I actually have a bag of Tostitos Scoops as well, and also yellow, white and red onions. :) The jar of Pace is just a shopping trip away.

New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 8:19 pm 
Registered Users

Just a plain can of corn, not cream corn, drained. Don't forget the lime. The cilantro is optional, but I use it. Some people have a genetic flaw that prevents them from enjoying cilantro.

New postPosted: January 11th, 2018, 8:56 pm 
Registered Users

if the mold is spreading to so many things, look for the source. when opening one thing after the other that has mold, make you clean surfaces and wash your hands. The spores are also airborne and spreading from somewhere. I'd look behind/under the fridge and stove to make sure you don't have something growing that you are unaware of. I wouldn't be suspicious of this for a single thing getting moldy by surprise, but with multiple items turning up, I would be extra cautious. Good luck.

BTW, I hate refrigerated bread. As a single, buns are one of my biggest problems because they come in 6 or 8 packs. I do freeze those after opening them up and separating the halves and putting them back in the bag before freezing. They then go directly from the freezer to the toaster.

New postPosted: January 11th, 2018, 11:30 pm 
Registered Users

Thanks, Lee. I'll make use of your suggestions.

New postPosted: Yesterday, 10:00 am 
Registered Users

Also, check the temp in your fridge! Sometimes, the temperature knob can be bumped without realizing it and that can wreck havoc with your food.