Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 22nd, 2018, 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Favorite restaurant for country cooking
New postPosted: January 11th, 2018, 9:09 am 
Registered Users

CittiS wrote:
Hmmm. In The City, two come to mind-- and a third is on the tips of my fingers. But the two I rec are any of Li'L Dizzy's outlets and Sisters N The East. But, but -- OMG, I needs me a shot of WD40, neat -- there was this place that, post-Thing, moved its operations to the Tulane (?) campus. Their specialties included fried chicken and a mess of both greens and lima beans.

My man CittiS, let me give you an update on our fine city voted the #1 place to visit in the W O R L D by the NYT!!!

https://www.nolaweekend.com/new-york-ti ... isit-2018/

And...Sisters N The East has just opened a new location on the West Bank on Franklin Ave. (Gretna). I pass every day, but they are always closed. It is actually Two Sisters on the Westbank serving "country-style Soul Food!

https://nola.eater.com/2017/10/16/16482 ... leans-nola

And finally...the place you remember with the fried chicken I believe is Dunbar's, from Freret St via Tulane U. They have opened a restaurant on Earhart Blvd two blocks before Carrollton. Nice looking place in a small strip.

https://www.bestofneworleans.com/gambit ... id=5736150

New Orleans...the city that opens new restaurants EVERY WEEK!!!!!

Let me know if you have any more restaurant rewinds, and I will update you. Just like I did for Cafe Sbisa few months back.

Oyster...from the Greatest City IN THE WORLD!!!!!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: January 12th, 2018, 9:41 pm 
Registered Users

What a "pearl" of a guy, Our Oyster! Cap'n, you 'dun' went and done your thing:Dunbars-- yesseree Bob; whomever "Bob" is.

And your rewind back to Café Sbisa: I rewind back to some days on the NOLA Dining Forum whereat I put up a post about Café Sbisa's crab cakes. Somehow, The Suspendered One, The Dean (Okey-dokey: TFitz) and I got into a verbal set-to about crab cakes in and around The City. No WD40 needed here: He liked 'em, as I did; but he challenged me about the sauce.. Fine. Some want sauce on Their Stuff and Thangs; while some want their sauce on the side. Fine. And dandy! BUT, Mr.TFitz's then-stance about sauce and crab cakes 'there should be no sauce with crab cakes' was what made me cuss "GR$#@$%%^&*()_@!)! "No sauce"? For No one? How dare he, I fumed. (Oyster: Oooowee: I gots me some rewinds: Including, speaking of TFtiz, when "The Dean" offered a "public" wager to Mrs. JanisV of the once-heralded Marisol's, that he could get into her place without being recognized.

Ahhhh, me oh my and my memories of one of The World's Greatest Cities: The City Of New Orleans.

Oyster, here's hoping You will wave at 'Em over on the West Bank: Friend from over dere told me his wife's oyster dressing ran out so quickly for Christmas, that his visitors, some fambly, no less!, put his wife's life sorta kinda in danger, 'cause they had run out of oyster dressing.

Heee. Waves. Even to the West Bank, where annuder good buddy (talked to his wife, because he was on the road heading home) oves some country cooking. Heck I just might do me a pot of 'country cooking' and fix up me (and fambly) up a pot of gumbo. (Which should suit this weather. Thing is, howsomever, with these up and down thermometer days, a body is perplexed about shopping: Swim wear or fire wood.?)

Uh, lemme just shell this out: This Forum is -- (here comes the "noise") -- a PEARL!

New postPosted: January 13th, 2018, 3:21 am 
Registered Users

Ersta's post about the place on Earhawt Blvd reminded me of a former co-worker from outta town, a big NASCAR fan, who always yoosta call it Earnhardt. :lol:

Considering how most people drive on the expressway pawt of Earhawt, his way was probly better!

New postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 10:19 am 
Registered Users

I used to go to Two Sisters on Dernby St back in the day and loved it. Went out East the other day and was disappointed in a big way...I'm w/ Aboy on Praline Conn being a Trap. Useless to me.....So my go to is DUNBARS. I've been maybe half a dozen times and have not been disappointed yet. My biggest gripe is easily the cornbread. Crumbles with the slightest touch and is way too sweet. If I want cake i'll order it. But this is a small issue I can tolerate for the quality of the big picture....Not sure it fits the question exactly but I really enjoy Fiorelli"s on Franklin Ave. Mighty fine Fried Chicken for sure!!!!!!

New postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 12:36 pm 
Registered Users

Here's waving at ya, willifred: Good to "see" ya and good to know that you are among the numbers who loves some Dunbars!. Y'awll can blame tigersbh and Oyster for this medd'lin. Most of the time, I blame my ownself's self. Hee!...Show up more often willifred. Will ya?

New postPosted: January 14th, 2018, 2:29 pm 
Registered Users

Willifred, I might have to try this Dunbar's place. I would even like the cornbread. The sweet kind is the only kind I like because it DOES taste like cake. LOL!

New postPosted: January 15th, 2018, 2:41 am 
Registered Users

Teee, tiger! I've not see or heard where Dunbar's is these days, but here's hopin they still can turn out a mess of some Lima beans!...It was up over there along the Carolinas that 'they; were calling them 'butter beans.' And, well, talking about country cooking, fix me up a pot of Limas and - Suffering Succotash, Batman! -- and, and, well succotash.

Since I'm here, medd'ling, I 'spect I ought to meddle about traveling Hither and Yon: Aside from whatever One might have in a traveling cooler, One would be remiss if One did not roll on to one of those off-the-beaten-path Momma and Poppa jernts where (Who needed some sorta GPS thingy?) One's nose would smell the wafts of fried onions and over-used lard.

I remember when I, traveling Hither and Yon on bi ways, roadways and highways, Would do me a Scrreeeeech on the brakes because of this One's smell. And most often, them there stops were Out In The Country!

Hmmmm, 'Country?' Well....

https://www.bing.com/search?q=out+in+th ... lang=en-US

EDITED TO ADD: I loves me some kitchen cooking, this country boy, but, well, out in the country, One can employ all sorts of cast iron Stuffs and Thangs and don't have to worry about smoking up the house. And, for me, no mater the country, I likes me some country cooking: especially when done outside!

New postPosted: January 15th, 2018, 3:02 am 
Registered Users

....And then, as Life gives Us, One makes a new life, a new life in whatever city, state or country! Give Us even more thinkable ???s, tigersbh!