Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Coming back to NOLA and checking my old reliables
New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 6:01 pm 
Registered Users

Mr. Smith,
Thanks for catching my error, yes Oct 2004 not 2014 was when I last visited NOLA>
Another error and this one shows my failing memory re Oyster loaf:
Domilises or Casamentos (not Compagnos) ouch!
I always enjoyed the muffs at Napoleion House too and I read Cochon Butcher uses their own house cured meats.
Rouse's sounds good to me.
Company Burger sounds good too.
I'll check with Shaeffers so we can make some stuffed crabs while there.

Thank you, aboy, Chawlie and everyone for the generous advice.
Lifting my glass your way,

United119 (as in United Cab which I was driving the day before Camille hit Waveland until the radio dispatcher, "Bugs Bunny" shut down broadcasting - the streets were flooding and Oak limbs were falling so we went home and in the end NOLA largely dodged that bullet)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 8:09 am 
Registered Users

I'll give some input:
1. Roast Beef PoBoy - Parasols or R&O or?
Haven't tried those, but like Chawlie said, if by Nor-Jo, hit up Rodasta's. Love their roast beef.
2. Oyster loaf - Domelise's or Compagno's ?
I would do both. I don't consider Cassamento's a Po-boy on the toast. Love it to death, but two different sandwiches to me.
3. Oysters on the half shell - Manale's or the new Bozo's or Felix's?
Felix for me, but I am in the Quarter all the time. And get it with a Dixie! Tom Benson bought the brewery and is making the original recipe! Just like the good ole days, it taste great. Especially in the small cold glass they give you at the oyster bar. Great oysters. I always ask for the big uns.
4. Where to get a good steak to grill in a friend's backyard... Langenstein's or ?
Cost no object, Whole Foods Magazine or Broad St. Less expensive, can't go wrong with Rouse's. Usually Bone in Ribeye or T-bones for right about $6/lb., or whole Tenderloin for $10.
5. Gumbo: Dookie's or Brightsen's or? Regardless of base, just the finished bowl.
Just can't beat Ms. Leah's! I am not a fan of Mr. B's. Way too thick, and nothing but roux taste. Not my style, more Cajun than New Orleans.
6. Is Middendorf still good, as I hear, or can we fry our own wild catfish?
Was great three weeks ago. Great ride, great food. I prefer the thick cut, but split two plates to try both. Took some WWII neighbors over and the wife ordered one soft shell crab. They brought her two huge crabs on her plate! No reason except, "we just wanted you to have two!" Thought she might share with the table, but she boxed it up and carried it home for them to enjoy later.
Wild caught will be hit or miss. Here is link to phone numbers for Shrimp Lot. Give a couple a call. If they don't have it, they will tell you who to call.

http://www.scrumptiouschef.com/2017/02/ ... hrimp-lot/

7. Mosca's, is it still the temple for crab salad, oysters mosca, chicken a la grande?
The only thing changed is they added an ATM.
9. Are the cafe au lait and beignets holding up at Morning Call & Cafe du Monde?
Just like Mosca's...no change.
10. Muffulettas: Can I get the fixings and make our own from Nor Joes or?
Sure.
12. November crabbing on the Lakefront sea wall:. Any chance of catching crabs?
Will depend on how many cold fronts have come through. Not the good season though. If you go to Shrimp Lot, they may have some though.

Now if in the Quarter, my favorite two lunch spots are K-Pauls for a deli style delish fare, or Antoine's for the best 3 course $20.17 meal with $0.25 drink specials limit 3. My daughter and I had our six Friday... And no, you don't need to be dressed up. All the tourist coming in right off the street. Great food for the price.

And, I second Mr. Smith's recommendation of Cochon Butcher. Great food.

New postPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 2:45 pm 
Registered Users

I'll pile on for Cochon Butcher, it is a terrific lunch joint. If you are going to the WWII museum, I think it is must-dining. Even eaten once at Cochon and it was very good as well.

New postPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 11:23 pm 
Registered Users

Hello folks,
You all have really been generous. I will need a spare stomach for a 10 day trip but
here's what I'm planning keeping in mind we are staying with friends so much magic may
happen in the home kitchen, as you well know. So going down my original list, here's the plan:

1. RB poboy - Radosta's and R&O very tempting but as an Irish Channel boy got to go to Parasols
2. Oyster loaf - going to the temple of Domilise
3. Raw ersters - Manales, Seithers, Felixs - maybe all 3!
4. Steak to grill - Rouses dry aged rib eye if my wallet isn't empty by then!
5. Gumbo - yep Ms. Leah plus some of her fried chicken if we get lucky
6. Middendorfs - sadly probably not this trip plus no oysters on the half shell (otherwise great)
7. Moscas - oysters mosca & spaghetti bordelaise, etc us already on our home kitchen menu
8. Impastato's - not enough time to go but great memories remain
9. Cafe/beignets -definitely hitting up CDM & MC several times
10. Muffs - probably going to Napoleon House or Cochon Butcher unless shift to fixings from NorJoe's
11. Hamburger - OK, Company Burger it is! but gotta get a #4 at Bud's Broiler over on City Park Blvd too
12. Crabbing at seawall in November - I must have been nuts and now oming to my senses now. Will go to Schaefer & Rusich for crabs, stuffed artichokes, etc.
Plus Antoines or Galatoires for lunch might happen if I win the lottery.
Thank you all,
United119

New postPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 11:55 pm 
Registered Users

11. All three of my little brothers yoosta woik fuh Mistah Bud, anyplace he needed them: at City Pawk, Banks, Veterans Highway, and even Best Bank Expressway. They can tell some stories!

Will you pass by the shores of "Lake Palmetto" to see what's left of St. Theresa's Little Flowuh and St. Jawn Prep? If there's no time, check it out on Google Maps satellite view and street view.

New postPosted: November 6th, 2017, 9:14 am 
Registered Users

United, great plan! Now I'm hungry/jealous.

The $20.17 three course lunch will only set you back the same price as a dozen raw at most places now. And you get 3 charbroiled, if you choose for appetizer.

Oyster prices will be high forever. Frank said $30/dozen on East Coast now. Many approaching $20 here now. Half price happy hour at Blind Pelican on St Charles is a great stop for a couple dozen.

Also, not sure is still going on, but Cooter Browns was running this one:

Every Tuesday, from 3 pm til close, Cooter Brown's is proud to offer Louisiana Oysters raw on the halfshell for just $8 per dozen. Come on in before 7 pm and enjoy Happy Hour pricing on cocktails and beer!

Best deal in town! Cheap oysters and cheap drinks!