Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Coming back to NOLA and checking my old reliables
New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 1:52 am 
Registered Users

Greetings forumites,
Last in NOLA Oct 2014 pre-K but as NOLA is where I was raised in the Irish Channel and I follow the TP and Advocate damn near daily, so what say you on my restaurant questions preparing for a November 9-day stay ...
1. Roast Beef PoBoy - Parasols or R&O or?
2. Oyster loaf - Domelise's or Compagno's ?
3. Oysters on the half shell - Manale's or the new Bozo's or Felix's?
4. Where to get a good steak to grill in a friend's backyard... Langenstein's or ?
5. Gumbo: Dookie's or Brightsen's or? Regardless of base, just the finished bowl.
6. Is Middendorf still good, as I hear, or can we fry our own wild catfish?
7. Mosca's, is it still the temple for crab salad, oysters mosca, chicken a la grande?
8. Impastato's for deluxe service with smoked filet appetizer & fettucine alfredo?
9. Are the cafe au lait and beignets holding up at Morning Call & Cafe du Monde?
10. Muffulettas: Can I get the fixings and make our own from Nor Joes or?
11. Hamburger: Port of Call with baked potato or?
12. November crabbing on the Lakefront sea wall:. Any chance of catching crabs?

Just musing on this visit as the fires here in No. Calif. hopefully are getting contained and I can shift to the happier prospect of a November visit with family, friends in NOLA, a special city that will always have a large piece of my heart.
All the best,
United 119
PS THANKS Mr. Lake for continuing to support this website.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Coming back to NOLA and checking my old reliables
New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 3:46 pm 
Registered Users

United119 wrote:
Greetings forumites,
Last in NOLA Oct 2014 pre-K but as NOLA is where I was raised in the Irish Channel and I follow the TP and Advocate damn near daily, so what say you on my restaurant questions preparing for a November 9-day stay ...

Given those two choices R&O

Seither's Harahan

4. Where to get a good steak to grill in a friend's backyard... Langenstein's or ?
Restaurant Depot

5. Gumbo: Dookie's or Brightsen's or? Regardless of base, just the finished bowl.
MR. B

OMG... Don't waste your time

7. Mosca's, is it still the temple for crab salad, oysters mosca, chicken a la grande?
Preparation good as ever... too many cost saving cutbacks

8. Impastato's for deluxe service with smoked filet appetizer & fettucine alfredo?
Yup!!!

9. Are the cafe au lait and beignets holding up at Morning Call & Cafe du Monde?
An institution

10. Muffulettas: Can I get the fixings and make our own from Nor Joes or
?... Tourist have killed this sandwich... Go to central pay for 2 and use one bread

I still like it but again expect cut backs

NOT ME!!!

Just musing on this visit as the fires here in No. Calif. hopefully are getting contained and I can shift to the happier prospect of a November visit with family, friends in NOLA, a special city that will always have a large piece of my heart.
All the best,
United 119

PS THANKS Mr. Lake for continuing to support this website.

Well I have nothing to say about that!!!

aboy

New postPosted: October 14th, 2017, 12:01 am 
Registered Users

Hey aboy,
Thanks for running down my list with helpful advice.
I'll be near Napoleon Ave. uptown, so Parasol's vs. R&O still a tossup; I just
remember fantastic RB's at Parasol's but read R&O is outstanding toay.
As for raw ersters, Seither's does sound like the real seafood deal but I
will be around the corner from Manale's which used to be outstanding.
As for steak, thanks for Restaurant Depot but I want a butcher not wholesale boxed meat... a person to person deal on the steaks is important to me.
Mr. B for gumbo is well reviewed and you know I may just do it, but hard to skip getting a hug from Leah Chase, my God what a lady.
Allright skipping Middendorfs, didn't want to drive anyway, but aboy any tips on source for wild, not farmed, catfish and we will cook ourselves?
Glad Morning Call, where U119 used to go in the Quarter in the old days, and Cafe du Monde are still the real deal.
As for Mosca's, where our newborn was shown around the kitchen in the 70s, I guess we'll skip and how can go back when Johnny is gone now, it's tough
Glad you endorse Impastato's, where we had our 10th anniversary 40 years ago.
I make muffs from scratch out here (mortadella, prosciutto di parma, copa, salame, hand chopped olive salad, foccacia bread) and I just can't go back to CG, but thanks for the tips, 2 muffs for 1 good muff I believe would be $40 from online review, Jesus!

Aboy, thanks again for your detailed advice, so would you add something I didn't even
put on my list?

Best to you,
United119

New postPosted: October 14th, 2017, 2:13 am 
Registered Users

I have been away from New Orleans since 2013, so I have held off. For a while.

No surprise that our friend aboy panned Middendorf's. He doesn't enjoy thin fried catfish. If Copcop or Mrs. Fury were still around here, no doubt you would've seen glowing reviews.

I've had bad experiences at "Antipasto's." The first time I went was my nephew's wedding rehearsal dinner, and it was nothing short of perfection, both food and service. We tried it three times after that, for anniversaries, and were sadly disappointed each time, with mediocre food and poor service, while neighbouring tables were fawned over. We didn't expect fawning, but didn't deserve to be ignored.

The "paypah" did a review of roast beef po-boys some years back. I forget who won, but I know Radosta's was where they decided to start, and Radosta's placed respectably high. It's a favorite from the old neighborhood where I grew up (the cheap side of Metairie Road, the side that don't never flood).

If you go to Nor-Joe's for muffaletta ingredients, which I would expect they have, Radosta's is just around the "cawnda" and a couple blocks away.

My other go-to place for roast beef po-boys, when Metry is too far, is Pawkway's. They do it right. My only complaint is they don't have onion rings. My last few visits, though, I've gotten the surf and turf po-boy, roast beef and fried shrimp, decadent and most enjoyable.

New postPosted: October 14th, 2017, 12:31 pm 
Registered Users

Chawlie wrote:
Aboy, thanks again for your detailed advice, so would you add something I didn't even
put on my list?

I love Cafe Degas on Esplanade
Galatoire is a WINNER.

Off the board special...
Banh Mi $8.00 (no cilantro)
Bang Bang shrimp... OMG
My fav is at 5001 Airline

If you have a reason to head to Slidell
Try the new renovated Robin's Wharf near HWY 11 Bidge
also They have a place on Prytania that should be opened by now.

BREAKING NEWS...
MY FAMILY IS INVOLVED AT ABOVE TWO RESTAURANTS

aboy (Arthur)

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 2:46 am 
Registered Users

Hello Chawlie,
Sure appreciate your shoutout from the “sandbox”.
Regarding Middendorfs going back 60 years, loved the drive and the meal.
And I gotta’ say I slice my catfish on the bias to slim them but, hey out here, I am just using farmed catfish but still good. I cooked a catfish fry for 50+ in Greenville MS 20+ years ago with a Delta blues guitar player hitting his licks to the crowd not 10 feet away. That's the real deal, I can[t forget it.
But still hoping for a source for wild catfish to cook with friends/hosts at their home on visit.
Your report and aboy’s make me think twice now about “Antipasto’s”, but we’ll never forget our first meal their in the 70s… will defer to a longer visit then.
As for the tip on Radosta around the corner, I may just eat 2 RBs in one day!!!
Chawlie, thanks and wishing you well,
U119
-former roustabout and roughneck in 1966 out of Empire for Falcon Seaboard
………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Hello aboy,
I’m with you on Café Degas going back to the 80s and I hear still good as ever.
All I miss on Esplanade Ave is that King Tut blue-green laser beam from the River
to NOMA through the Oaks, it was a fantastic display in what is a world-important city.
Also thanks for the Banh Mi recs, this just emphasizes to me the wonderful potpourri
of our wonderful port city. Thank you aboy. Between friend’s home cooks and restaurant options, we sure ain’t gonna’ starve.
God bless,
U119

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 4:16 am 
Registered Users

1966 was a bit early for me, but in 1968 I was a galley hand with Universal for Transworld/ Kerr-McGee in Ship Shoal 214 out of Morgan City, and in 1969 a rusty-butt with Do-Less and See-More (Danos & Curole) for Gulf out of Leeville.

For Camille, for a day and a half before evacuation, our crew and the welders secured everything that wasn't indoors, welded down, or tied down, on a couple dozen producing platforms in South Timbalier. We got paid 25 hours for the last day. Everyone who questioned the time sheets was told, "Them boys didn't even get a lunch break."

The morning after Camille came through, the radio said LA-1 was open, so I drove to the PHI heliport in Leeville, where the PHI station manager and Gulf production manager were the only ones there, waiting for choppers from inland. Before they arrived, pumpers and gaugers got there, and got priority. I got paid for 12 hours of standby (at a whopping $2.25 per hour!), eating vending machine cheese and peanut butter crackers, before I made it out to the platform, after even the galley crew, then spent a few hours of OT slowly opening valves that had been shut down by the storm chokes, to get the wells back on line.

Sorry for such a long rewind.

By the way, I used to think United119 was a flight number!

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 7:29 am 
Registered Users

United119 wrote:
Greetings forumites,
10. Muffulettas: Can I get the fixings and make our own from Nor Joes or?

Katrina was 05 so maybe you were in 04, not 14?

1) I like the roast beef at Sammy's on Vets (formerly Live Oak). Hard not to get the Italian Special if you go to R&O.
2) Avery's on Tulane (also, Parkway on Monday or Wednesday). I don't think Compagno's is around anymore.
3) Peche. Manale's and Felix's are also good.
4) Rouse's now dry-ages their own ribeyes. They are excellent.
5) Lots of great gumbo around.
6) Middendorf's is good not great. I've always liked the drive and tradition.
7) Mosca's is the same, though it never has moved me much. Too much oil.
8) I like Impastato's but I don't think a filet has enough fat to take smoke well. Not a fan of that.
9) Same
10) Cochon Butcher and Napoleon House have good muffs.
11) Company Burger
12) Doubt you'll catch any in the lake, but Schaefer's has had nice crabs lately.