Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "The Days Of Our Lives" Don't Let 'Em EAT At Us!
New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 7:37 pm 
Registered Users

During these tumultuous times, especially, level heads and levity should be at the fore, IMHO. What publication/person was who gave Us "Laughter is the best medicine'?

Well, I unilaterally deemed it appropriate for some levity about Life and food, especially since weight issues have weighed in heavily, of late.

A much-touted -- and deservedly so -- writer, a lover of food and who had some relatives concerned about their, er, girth, fell in love with the UK and would eventually move there: It was T.S. Eliot.

Shortly after his arrival, he penned that 'I journeyed to London to the timekept City. Where the River flows with foreign flotations. There I was told: "We have too many churches and too few chop houses." Alas, Mr. Eliot, a foodie in his own special way was as fogged out as some London 'burbs.

Still -- and to the point of the post -- I think he might've enjoyed this piece:

http://www.guy-sports.com/months/diets_ ... f_life.htm

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "The Days Of Our Lives" Don't Let 'Em EAT At Us!
New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 9:09 pm 
Registered Users

It was "Readers Digress" that featured "Laughter Is the Best Medicine."

New postPosted: October 13th, 2017, 10:24 pm 
Registered Users

Never tell anyone that you're, going on a diet, exercising, or quitting smoking.
They'll encourage you to death....

That's Gold, Jerry
That's Gold!!!

aboy

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 1:23 pm 
Registered Users

One suggestion is that the phrase, "Laughter Is the Best Medicine", derives from Proverbs 17 in the Old Testament. Here, it is said that ‘a merry heart is like medicine’.

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 7:38 pm 
Registered Users

Had I been an editorial staffer at "Reader's Digest," I would have hired frank and chawlie: Don't count on Ben for this; why not flow this one at your cardiologist, and I thinks s/he would agree: "merry," (as far as I know) translates into to fun which can transfer gloom into any form of merriment which can translate into food for the soul which can aid in rocking almost like Rockin' Dopsie & Krewe...Again, United -- and I must also 'fess up that "United" seemed flight related.

Thus, plane, er, plain and simple, I offer well wishes -- and prayers -- for a successful wheels down at home. And, United, I am quite a Forum meddler, don't know how in-flight food fares these days (another topic) , but what would be quite, quite interesting to know is what New Orleans food/s you took back home. Psst: watch your food intakes while at home: your weight just might determine some hidden "baggage" fees. Alas, such is "Life [and the World] In These United States."

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 9:06 pm 
Registered Users

I know when I laugh it really makes me feel alive. I believe it is now known that laughing releases happy brain chemicals, endorphins, that reduce pain. So I suggest old episodes of I Love Lucy or The Life of Riley or Sid Caesar as medicinal.

CittiS,
I used to run over to that open field seafood market on the West Bank Expressway and buy 70# of shrimp, dehead them and with gel packs put them in the hold on Delta. Not this time,probably jujst some Vaucresson and Wayne Jacobs sausage and some frozen crayfish tails in a small styrofoam carrier. Seeing old friends and cooking and eating together will definitely give good times and memories plus a little lagniappe coming back with us on the return flight.
Cheers,
U119

New postPosted: October 16th, 2017, 11:48 am 
Registered Users

Dang, United! Now here you done went and caused me to do a re-wind. And as Our Forumites can attest, I can re-wind more than, say, a Grandfather Clock-- not that I'm that old.

But the cause of your causal re-wind is that you went and mentioned Vaucresson. Hot Sossiges, Batman-- lemme link this to back-in-theday:

Mr. Vaucresson, a treasure of The City, was a must-have at JazzFest. I recall that just prior to the opening of one 'Fest, his cooking aggregation was stolen. In an early form of a "Fund Me" account citizens stepped up to help him get the gear needed to meet the eats he normally provide to 'Fest-goers. And to further point up his skills, I point to this: a chef knows his/her equipment -- temps; when to vent; his/her equipment's reaction weather conditions, etc. Yet -- Yet! -- he, I'm told, ably vended Vaucresson. Convincingly.

Don't know, United, when your wheels will be up from the delta, but at liftoff from Moissant, er, MSY, er, Louis Armstrong International, know that Ben -- aka CittiS in Dallas, is waving (loves to wave, also) at'cha.

I don't know what in-flight food is these days; have had some ops to ask, but other things arose; but -- Pssst! -- a muffaletta or a po'boy would make great snacks-- but watch your weight! Ah, mercy me: Such is "Life In These United Sates."