Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: How many vinegars in ya pantry?
New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 12:40 am 
Registered Users

CittiS,
Thanks for the thoughts about us folks in California, especially those in Northern California this week. I live at 400 yards from the mandatory evacuation line for the Atlas Fire and this past week has been sheer hell mentally and physically with soot
graying the sun out and with high winds, 50mph at the outset last Sunday, that can throw embers a mile beyond the ground fire line, spreading like true wildfire...
which is what happened. This happened so fast that many areas went without any warning and only escaped if they could once they realized the fire was upon them...
true. And with cell towers being destroyed emergency communication and public communication also failed. What set these fires up to be so calamitous was a combination of events earlier and then last Sunday. California had a very wet winter
with many flooding events in Jan & Feb which gave tremendous moisture to grow native wild grasses and they did flourish. Then we had the summer drought, still ongoing, and
those taller but dry grasses were abundant and ripe to burn. Now that's the set up but
here's why and BTW think the central La/East Baton Rouge stalled storm/flood while I'm at it). The why is to do with prolongation of weather cycles whether they be wet or dry. Weather systems pause and if wet continue to dump and if dry continue to parch. But if the cycle lengths were reduced then there would be less extreme effects resulting in less flooding and less stress on crops and less dry brush.
Forgive me as I still go on now to last Sunday, I've already covering the setup here.
Hot dry inland winds hit us last Sunday night around 10PM whipping around
and any small burns (95% of fires are human caused, 5% lightning out here_
would have been primed to burn and spread and suddenly that night I believe we had
multi-thousand acre fires in both Napa and Sonoma county. Just writing this to a forum devoted to all New Orleans, I speak from my heart to a forum that has always
shown heart, especially when most needed in those post-K days). In terms of weather/climate threats here or in NOLA:
New Orleans is still "the inevitable city built on an impossible site" but it deserves the same support against flooding that the Dutch give to their North Sea borders. We all need protection and out here with so many cell phones we must enforce the drive to connect alert services to all cell phones in the area so all can be warned of imminent threat. True here with fires, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes and hurricanes (mostly in the gulf/East coast)... this country has an advanced network that must show its' strength in alerting everyone in one keystroke...
to save their lives.

All the best,
U119

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 4:23 am 
Registered Users

I feel your pain. When I lived in sudden (southern) Oregon, I learned what it's like to live with soot and air that's not fit to breathe, that makes you cry continuously for more reasons than one. After we moved to the high desert of northern Nevada, the day I finished clearing the scrub brush and cheat grass from around the house, there was a small wildfire immediately upwind from us, only a couple of miles away. Fortunately it was extinguished promptly. But I had only a little taste. I hate to think what it's like so close to the fire. The prayer antenna is definitely aimed toward northern California.

New postPosted: October 15th, 2017, 12:47 pm 
Registered Users

I have most listed above, plus Steens Cane Vinegar. Marinating chicken in vinegar for a while before roasting is very good.