Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Lollygram - Favorite Jam or Jelly?
New postPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm 
Registered Users

Hi Lee,

Thank you for asking, but I'm sorry I don't have her recipe. Like so many
wonderful cooks......she never wrote a recipe down, everything by memory.
I did try to make Apple Butter in a slow cooker, but not even close to hers. She also made the most delicious fig jelly I ever tasted. And of course, the perfect Angel Biscuits.

I will continue to try and find a recipe for Apple Butter close to hers.....if I do, I will
post it for you. If you happen on one you like, I hope you will post too.

Annie Laurie

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: October 23rd, 2017, 8:30 pm 
Registered Users

Annie Laurie wrote:
Hi Lee,

Thank you for asking, but I'm sorry I don't have her recipe. Like so many
wonderful cooks......she never wrote a recipe down, everything by memory.
I did try to make Apple Butter in a slow cooker, but not even close to hers. She also made the most delicious fig jelly I ever tasted. And of course, the perfect Angel Biscuits.

I will continue to try and find a recipe for Apple Butter close to hers.....if I do, I will
post it for you. If you happen on one you like, I hope you will post too.

Annie Laurie

absolutely a deal.

New postPosted: October 26th, 2017, 11:57 pm 
Registered Users

Just catching up: Me? Jellies or jams; just don't lemme get no bits and pieces in the teefies, thank you!

But without question, anything grapes -- ripe; preserved or however -- is vine with me as long as it comes from Welch's. My first, heels-dug-in choice.

Now -- Holy Patti LaBelle, Batman! -- I don't know if marmalade counts in this gram; but I loves it on toast.

Apple jelly: I can do with it or without, EXCEPT when it comes to a jelly cake: Had 'em many times. Don't know any recipe, but, if memory serves, it was a Pound Cake, then split into layers, then layered with apple jelly, then "iced" all over with apple jelly. (The sneaks we chirrens would make at dem dere cakes!)

But, as "They" say, 'The apple does not fall too far from the tree,' I fell in love with apple butter via a long-ago, self-taught cook and relative. She made apple butter for her husband. She loved it as a child and when she married her hubby, she was delighted to learn that he liked it also. She employed some passed-down learning about apples and pork (Holy Peaches and Herb, Batman!), as the two go together quite well, and would later, as finances got better, "brine" some pork cutlettes or chops in some apple butter: Came out way mo' tender than a baby's butt!

And speaking of "butts," -- well, dammit; since I was speaking of "butts" -- I am re-winded to a time when, after class, some of us 'spposed to be BMOC would be doing some hip-dudes-in-training and looking to make a catch, would give our hide-a-way away as we, damned near in unison, would yell out, as a fine young tenderonie would walk bay, "Whooooweee! That must be jelly, 'cause jam don't shake like that.'"...And I do hereby certify that I am over the age of 13.

New postPosted: October 27th, 2017, 12:41 am 
Registered Users

Ben, since you brought it up, I rewound to a recording I have from Woody Herman. When I looked it up, lo and behold, I "fount" out it first came from the Major, Glenn Miller, who had more number 1 hits than anybody else, including Elvis and the Beatles, as I read in his link from this "awtickle."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Must_B ... _like_That)

But my first rewind was back to 1969, Tommy Roe, and "Jam Up and Jelly Tight," my my my my baby now you're outta sight. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_Up_and_Jelly_Tight

New postPosted: October 27th, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Registered Users

Shucks, shoot and what-the-hey? The Re-wind opps that appear on This Forum! Thank you Mr Lake!

As far as I'm concerned, "Jam" sessions needs to be jelled at, say, New Orleans' Preservation Hall. Period. Amen.

But chawlie, you done sent me, once again, back into re-winds: You, shamelessly and without regards for my tender personality, went and wrote about Glenn Miller. And there you go: Gotta go and dust off some stax of wax and find , what "String Of Pearls" or, if it wasn't them, how's about "Moonlight In Vermont"

Anyways -- and since you can read ms. Lolly -- please read this sign: "Will NOT sing for Food If No Singing Is Required."

Food-borne drones expected!