Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Smoked Shrimp
New postPosted: October 28th, 2017, 2:17 pm 
Registered Users

The other day, I smoked some trout in my stove-top smoker. On a whim, I threw in some thawed, but cold shrimp, heads off, shell-on. I used applewood in the smoker. The smoker was on pretty low and I left the shrimp in just until the shells started to turn opaque. I chilled them and removed the shells. After that I left them in the fridge for a couple of days. I just finished cooking them in butter and used and the butter as a topping for a small sirloin steak. They were delicious, I'll definitely do this again. Sorry for no pictures, I gobbled it up before I thought about a camera.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Smoked Shrimp
New postPosted: October 28th, 2017, 2:47 pm 
Registered Users

"Sounds" good, Lee. Thanks for sharing. A BIG Q: I've often wondered about Applewood, but never used it. Have long been a fan of hickory and pecan. So -- I ask a dumb question, perhaps -- does it impart a taste of apple?

I'm now restricted to using the Weber out on the patio due to mobility issues; but your posts jumps out because, aside from brisket, which is likely the National Meat Of Texas, I like to oven roast pork-- loins and/or chops. And, as do peach and herbs, pork pairs well with apple flavor. To take this further, I've even roasted a pork loin in the oven, and during the last 10 minutes of cooking, would slather the loin with apple sauce-- tented with foil to prevent burning. Again, thanks! I

New postPosted: October 28th, 2017, 3:37 pm 
Registered Users

There is no apple flavor from the smoke. It is just one of the recommended woods for fish because it has a lighter smoke flavor that doesn't overwhelm the fish. Try smoking your pork loin sometimes, it is awesome. I often roast pork in apple juice and then thicken the juices to create a pan sauce.

New postPosted: October 28th, 2017, 5:39 pm 
Registered Users

As "They" would say "an apple a day will keep the doctor away." Seems, as that soulful Aretha Franklin sang to us, "Don't send me no doctor...." still rings true...Too, seems You and I fill the bill for the pill: Apples to apples. (BTW: A baker friend I knew of told me that he once ran across some sorta green apples' but they were not the green apples he expected-- Granny Smiths-- quite, quite suitable for baking, he told me. ( and something I would later learn to be quite on point)

Hmmm!? Holy Dr. Morgus, Batman! -- Mr. Lee, you, Sir, have given me an Arsenio Hall moment, as in "Hmmmm!?" -- I wonder about adding some apple juice, along with those shrimp shells, to a seafood gumbo.

But horrors! With that declaration, I could be sentenced -- by Gumbo Purists -- to being the target with an apple on my head! T'aint no Telling!

New postPosted: October 30th, 2017, 4:44 pm 
Registered Users

That sounds very good, Lee. Indoor smoker has been on my bucket list. Apple wood is one of my favorites. How did you eat the trout?

New postPosted: October 30th, 2017, 4:57 pm 
Registered Users

JimZ wrote:
That sounds very good, Lee. Indoor smoker has been on my bucket list. Apple wood is one of my favorites. How did you eat the trout?

lol, right of the smoker and by the fork-full!

New postPosted: October 30th, 2017, 6:00 pm 
Registered Users

No better way to chow down, Lee!