Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lollygram - Describe Your Perfect Baked Potato
New postPosted: November 2nd, 2017, 6:23 pm 
Registered Users

One is a sweet 'tater, plain, just out of the oven (or microwave), too hot to hold for more than a second without shifting my grip as I peel it and carefully wolf it down. Love, love, love them, even plain. Of course, on a plate with optional butter, cinnamon, and/or nutmeg would be wonderful, too. I can take or leave candied.

But for a regular potato, I don't much care about the variety, as long as it's not a little red "Irish" potato. It could be Yukon Gold or the kind with thick, dark skin, sorry I don't know the name. It should be thoroughly cooked so the center is soft all the way through. The skin should be crisp. Don't cook mines in tinferl (silvah paypah), just put a light coating of Greasgo (Crisco) so the skin gets cripsp but doesn't dry out. I do eat the skin, all of it.

If I'm behaving, just give me a little pat of "Thank God It's Not Butter" and the tiniest pinch of salt. But the perfect baked potato is loaded all the way: swimming with real butter, has too much sour cream, so much that you have to nuke it so it's not too cold, a generous sprinkling of (real) bacon bits, and lots of chives. Edited to add: How could I forget charp cheddar cheese!

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lollygram - Describe Your Perfect Baked Potato
New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 6:49 am 
Registered Users

Wow! I think we know who our resident potato connoisseur is now!

Sweet potatoes is one of those things that I feel like I should like but just never have.

My perfect baked potato is a russet (yes, I had to do a little Googling to find the different varieties!), fully cooked to where it is tender, with lots of margarine, salt, and pepper. I don't like anything else on my potato.

New postPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 7:03 pm 
Registered Users

Hi Chawlie,
Besides Bud's broiler I sure enjoy potato skins and I use russets too.
Step 1 Clean and dry baking potatoes, pierce on all sides for steam release.
Step 2 Lightly coat skins with olive oil and season with salt. Bake potatoes for about an hour at 400 degrees F.
Step 3 Cut the baked potatoes in half lengthwise. After the potatoes cool, remove the middle part of the potato with a spoon. Leave about 1/4 to 1/3 inch of the potato on each skin. (Save the scooped out potato for potato pancakes next day)
Step 4- 2nd baking - Drizzle each potato skin with a small amount of olive oil and brush it around to distribute the oil evenly. Place the skins on a baking sheet and season them with salt and pepper. Turn up the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. and bake the potato skins for about 10 to 15 minutes to make them crisp.
Step 5 - 3rd baking - Top each crispy potato skin with shredded cheese and bacon or any other toppings you choose. Bake the skins for an additional five to 10 minutes so the cheese can melt.
Step 6 Top each skin with chopped green onions or chives and sour cream and eat!

Not a quicky but can do steps 1-3 ahead and then finish them in 20-25 minutes while you share an adult beverage with friends. Enjoy,
U119

New postPosted: November 4th, 2017, 2:51 pm 
Registered Users

Because I grow red potatoes, that is what I use for baking and they are very good. Wipe the out side with butter and Kosher salt, bake. Butter, sour cream, fresh garden parsley, snipped garlic chives, real bacon bits. Hell, throw in the kitchen zink of things. The perfect baked spud is the one that I am eating.

New postPosted: November 4th, 2017, 2:52 pm 
Registered Users

I forgot, sharp cheddar cheeze or Swiss.

New postPosted: November 7th, 2017, 4:39 pm 
Registered Users

Hasselback Sweet Potatoes

Hasselbacken is a famous restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden where these baked potatoes were first created. The first restaurant at the Hasselbacken Hotel was opened in the mid 1700s and was christened Hasselbacken in 1760.

Ingredients:

• 4 medium sweet potatoes
• 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
• 1 garlic clove, finely grated on a microplane
• - Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 425° F.
2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
3. Make a series of ⅛ inch slices along each potato, slicing ⅔ of the way through.
4. Stir together the butter, oil, thyme, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
5. Rub the potatoes all over with the mixture, getting in between the slices.
6. Place on the baking sheet and roast until the center of the potatoes are tender and the outside is crisp, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Halfway through the roasting time, remove the potatoes from the oven and run a fork gently across the tops of the potatoes, using light pressure, to fan the slices and separate them from one another.

New postPosted: November 7th, 2017, 5:41 pm 
Registered Users

Grilled Baby Hasselback Potatoes

Another variation of Hasselback Potatoes.

Ingredients Potatoes:

• 1 pound baby yellow or red potatoes, rinsed and dried
• 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• Salt/pepper to taste
• 5-6 slices cheddar cheese

Ingredients Garnish:

• Sour cream
• Bacon bits
• Chives

Method:

1. Heat grill to high heat.
2. Rest each baby potato between two chopsticks (to act as a stop for the knife) and carefully cut vertical slits in each potato, about every ¼ inch.
3. Place sliced potatoes on a plate and microwave at high on one side for 2 minutes.
4. Flip potatoes over and microwave again for an additional 2 minutes.
5. Arrange potatoes on a large piece of aluminum foil.
6. Set aside.
7. In a small bowl, mix together melted butter and minced garlic.
8. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
9. Brush garlic butter mixture over each potato, making sure the butter drips into each cut.
10. Tuck pieces of cheese into the slits in the potatoes (does not have to be in every single slit).
11. Loosely cover/tent the potatoes with a second sheet of aluminum foil, crimping the two pieces of foil together along the edges to create a seal.
12. Place foil packet in your grill and cook for 20-25 minutes.
13. Remove foil packet from the grill and open the sealed edges.

To serve:

Serve immediately, garnished with a dollop of sour cream, crumbled bacon, and chives.

New postPosted: November 10th, 2017, 6:38 pm 
Registered Users

Don't care much for baked sweet potatoes (or yams). The only way I like sweet potatoes are candied or sweet potato pie. Also took a liking to sweet potato wedges.

But to your query chawlie, my perfect baked potato is either a Russet or Idaho -- either will do -- dressed with the following: unsalted butter; grated sharp cheddar; generous sprinklings of black pepper (had one relative who, when prepping baked potatoes, would stop what she was doing if she discovered she had no white pepper :o :x and go to the nearest market that sold white pepper. She hated black pepper on baked or mashed potatoes so much that she would refuse to neither eat nor serve them with black pepper!)

Add me a few snippets of chives and ground parsley, a plop of sour cream and can dig that....An aside on baked potatoes: During U.S. Army service -- Holy Beetle Baily, Batman -- and Sarge: We had potatoes in some form every day!

Anyways, while I was still an EM (enlisted man/NCO - Non-commissioned officer) I recall eating at a civilian eatery and drew the ?????? from a couple of other soldiers dining with me when they saw me cutting into the skin of the spud. After more ??????s, I explained that many, many nutrients are in the skin of potatoes.

Chawlie, pleased don't, er, furrow your brows, for being, once again, slightly off pernt as I could go on and on and on about this root veggie. But I must give a shout out to those gems called red potatoes or new potatoes: they roast very well, and, with skin on, are poifect for smashed potatoes....Post Script: As much as I love bacon -- And no bacon bits from those glass jars. Ever! -- I don't want any bacon crumbles on my baked potato.
And, shucks, Y'awll know how I'm given to re-winds; so lemme re-wind to the once Mike Anderson's jernt on Rue Bourbon: I loved that place, but never, never could find a way to even tolerate those twice-baked potatoes. Never-- even after trying 'em some three, four times. Hope they are better in baton Rouge!