Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Question from a New Source
New postPosted: November 8th, 2017, 9:42 am 
Registered Users

From the FB group, Cajun French Virtual Table Francaise:

What was your favorite dish your Mom or Grandmere cooked?

That's a tough one. I never really knew my Grandmere, and my Mom's Mom wasn't much of a cook, but my Mom was very talented and creative in the kitchen. I will have to give this some thought and come back to it later.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Question from a New Source
New postPosted: November 8th, 2017, 12:32 pm 
Registered Users

That's easy. As a young boy I loved my Mama's Red Beans and Rice!

New postPosted: November 8th, 2017, 1:42 pm 
Registered Users

My mother loved to find new dishes to cook from her cookbooks. The Swiss Steak was good, the shrimp creole was good, but I think my favorite was the eggplant parmesan.

Her mother used to cook classic southern food. I loved the fried chicken, turnip greens, butter beans, fried okra, etc. Many of the vegetables came from their garden.

My Grandmother on my Dad's side was pretty much the same way but we usually just went there for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas (so turkey and dressing, mostly). She made a killer pecan pie though. I have yet to find another one like it.

New postPosted: November 8th, 2017, 10:31 pm 
Registered Users

Hard to say for me, also. And it is hard for me to say: "Say, " that is about the source.

But I am saying any cassoulette and any casserole.

New postPosted: November 9th, 2017, 3:10 pm 
Registered Users

All of my grandparents had passed before my first birthday, so I have only my mother to comment on.

A great dish was her rouladen, a German dish made by rolling a thinly sliced piece of beef around a mixture of chopped bacon, onions, celery and other ingredients, and served with a great gravy. It usually was done with roasted potatoes and a green vegetable. As I grew up our veggies were largely peas, corn, green beans, lima beans and Brussel sprouts. We never had broccoli or cauliflower.

Another of her great dishes was her spaghetti sauce. Making her sauce was a 4-6 hour endeavor. And her sauce clung to the pasta, unlike today's watery canned (jarred) red sauces.

And her best savory was senfgurken, a homemade German pickle. She would order from a farmer a bushel of over-ripe cucumbers (big and starting to turn yellow). They were peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and seeds scooped out. This made them resemble little dug-out canoes. They were then salted and left over night, causing a great amount of water to come out. Then they were pickled in Mason jars, with a pickling that I never tasted anywhere else or since. All I know about it was that it used a large amount of fresh dill. What a great pickle we had for the next year.

New postPosted: November 9th, 2017, 3:27 pm 
Registered Users

Awt, I was just reading a recipe for rouladen earlier in the day. What a coincidence. Now for my Mother's cooking that is my favorite meal. That is a tough one. I did make a pot of pork and sauerkraut stew, Bigos, last week. That was one of my favorite. She always said, as she made this, rinse the sauerkraut 3 times. Every thing she made was my favorite, except for tripe soup. No way I was going to even taste it. I was five years old and I can remember sitting at the kitchen table crying my eyes out, no no no. Breaded pork chops are one of the few things I can not make as good as hers.

New postPosted: November 9th, 2017, 6:15 pm 
Registered Users

Mac-n-Cheese, with meat: Vienna Sossiges were the cheapest way!...And for dessert: 'twas a tie between rice pudding and peach cobbler. Waving some Yums :) :D back down the calendars' pages!

New postPosted: November 9th, 2017, 6:29 pm 
Registered Users

Either of my grandmothers made fantastic homemade chicken noodles. That would be my favorites. They taught me so much of the basics of cooking.