Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Some FOOD For Thought: Feeding Vets & Actives:
New postPosted: November 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm 
Registered Users

Here's hoping Our Forum Administrator will permit -- and You Good Folks will tolerate -- this otherwise "Soap Box" post.

On this, at once, 'Thank You For Your Service' Day and a 'We Wish You Well As You Serve Us' Day, I stand and salute America's military veterans.

There are many U.S. military veterans, some with a family, who often go hand-to-mouth hungry. I trust We will help feed them-- not only with food; but with energies for better lives.

There are those who currently serve Our U.S. military and with many of them under combat conditions. Thus, for them, most, if not all of their FOOD is from a preserved source: When I was discharged, that source was C-rations. (loved the scrambled eggs and ham offerings!). Today, that source is MREs (Meals Ready to Eat).

So, they serve Our Country; Our flag. Thus, I ask that We serve them up with some Flag Waving. (And, I ask, as We welcome them home, either on holiday leave or for discharge, that We give them their favorite FOODS. Just a thought.

Pleading my case, I ask You to please tolerate this bit of redundancy as I ask Sir John, a flag-waver of the first rate, to cue his crew and celebrate October 11, 2017. Sir John & Crew, if you will:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=elton+joh ... lang=en-US

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Some FOOD For Thought: Feeding Vets & Actives:
New postPosted: November 11th, 2017, 8:29 pm 
Registered Users

I am a Military Brat. My father served in the Navy during WWII, Korea and more fore 23 years as a Navy Chef. Here is a photo from a thousand years ago when we were stationed in Groton, Connecticut.

My Father was a fish magnet.

New postPosted: November 11th, 2017, 10:24 pm 
Registered Users

Oooooowee, Mr. JimZ: That fish you are showing us gives ME some food for thought. Mercy, Good Sir!.

Lemme get into rewind mode: I, being from a U.S. Naval family, joined the U.S. Army, much to the chagrin of my side of family members. Heck, even my birth son served, in various ports of call, and before being assigned to a Navy Frigate, he swabbed a few decks.

As is noted, irony shadows me: I learned from someone that Our U.S. Navy feeds its personnel waaaaay mo' bettah than any other of the U.S. military services. Our U.S. Navy submarine personnel need a buncha lotta FOOD, because, as I was told, some subs are under water -- UNDER WATER! -- for something like 80-90 days or so.

And, Mr. JimZ, will you tell Us what kind of fish that is? Whatever; 'cause here comes some meddles: filets; chunky nuggets for gumbo; sliced, kinda in strips for some fish-n-chips. And if you happen to need some tartar sauce, well, go on off into your 'fridge and gitch'a self some mynez and pickle relish: You will relish the moment/s!

And before someone t'rows me a line and reels me in, I gotta axe ya, Mr. JimZ: did You and Yours use any lemon-juice squeezings on the fish!? Take your time. I Promise: I will not "play" 'In The Navy.'

So, I''m supposing, so waves The Forum: 'Ben's gone. For now. "Anchors Aweigh"

Am hoping this 'Carriers' Us all to better thoughts ahead--- about feeding Ourselves and Others.

Stay Hungry -- but healthy -- My Friends!

New postPosted: November 11th, 2017, 11:01 pm 
Registered Users

I certainly second CittiSon Ben's emotions about our veterans.

When I'm home I often see bumper stickers exhorting people to support our troops.

Well, that's my job. Over here where the troops are.

By the way, that is a wonderful photograph that JimZ shared, and a fine looking fish. I have one word (or is it two?) to add to Ben's comments on it: courtboullion.

New postPosted: November 12th, 2017, 10:03 am 
Registered Users

CittiS, that is a Atlantic Stripe Bass. My Father had shore duty during the time he was stationed at the sub base. He'd take me fishing with him on the Thames River across from the Coast Guard Academy. We fished off the rocks and always used light tackle. He didn't believe in hauling them in. He liked to play with them, more sport he would say. My Mom always baked the stripe base whole. Of course dressed with out the head. A special treat was when a fish had a lot of roe/eggs. Those where fried up and eatin as a snack. Yum. Of coarse we had lemon juice with the fish and tarter sauce. Chawlie, stripe bass would make some good courtboullion.

New postPosted: November 12th, 2017, 11:15 am 
Registered Users

Mercy! Y'awl and this Forum: Y'awl can sho'nuff reel in some Stuff and Thangs.... And lemme t'row a line to JimZ: dat dere cigarette. Wuzzit one of them 'Call for Phillip Moriris!' smokes. (Tee-hee: back in the day, when Snuffy Smith smoked, he smoked from a corn (food) cob pipe.)