Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Well, OK. Some Holiday Goodies. BUT...
New postPosted: November 20th, 2017, 11:04 pm 
Registered Users

..."They" have gone and -- as is Our chawlie sez -- 'Fru-frued' with mac-n-cheese. Stop it! And also pernting fangers and toes at whomever wrote this stuff. many Southerners, while thankful, want some cranberries in some form; green bean casseroles and yams -- say: sweet potatoes -- in at least two forms!!

I mean, Nawtherners know some good eating to; but I'm of a mind that that "whomever" person should eat more than once or twice in the South.

Southerners have more dishes than these, BTW; but don't go messing with the mac-n-cheese, please:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Well, OK. Some Holiday Goodies. BUT...
New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 2:44 am 
Registered Users

10 Things Southerners Always Have on Their Thanksgiving Table

You know it’s going to be bogus when you see the word “always.”

1. Does pecan pie ALWAYS have to be “brown butter” type?

2. Sure, classic cornbread stuffing is traditional in the South, but ALWAYS? (How ‘bout dem erstas?)

3. I have never heard of corn pudding with fresh tomatoes, for Thanksgiving or otherwise. In the olden days, where would our ancestors have gotten fresh tomatoes in November? And how can this be an “always” dish when the author calls it, and I quote, “this Southern-inspired recipe”?

4. Fried okry is good groceries, but since when is it ALWAYS on the Thanksgiving table? I thought okry was seasonal for summer and early fall.

5. Talk about fru-fru! Since when have pumpkin-sage cheese grits ALWAYS been on the Thanksgiving table?

6. I love Brussels sprouts, but a lot of people don’t. I have never heard of roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, although it sounds good. ALWAYS?

7. Slow-cooker collard greens have been a Southern staple for at least 300 years, every sinst the invention of the Crock Pot back in the early 1700s. This slide could have been almost true if the “r” had been an “d” in “Slow-cooker.”

8. Spicy mac and cheese has just so many things wrong with it. First, mac and cheese is not necessarily Southern. Second, many people, particularly Southerners (at least those outside South Louisiana), don’t like spicy food. And look at that broccoli and stuff contaminating that mac and cheese! This is supposed to be traditional Southern food on every Thanksgiving table?

9. Sweet potato casserole with mashed sweet potatoes topped with candied pecans is only a variation of just one of the traditional ways to serve sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving day. More people candy both the sweet potatoes and pecans at the same time. (Northerners would use marshmallows because they don’t have sense enough to use pecans.)

10. Sweet potato pie is only one of the kinds of pie that Southerners traditionally have on their Thanksgiving table. Does the author think we don’t eat pumpkin pie in the South? Apple? Come on!

Was this article written by a visiting Northerner, or by a Southerner with more fru-fru than knowledge of Southern traditions?

New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 10:46 am 
Registered Users

Speaking as a Philadelphia bred northerner (love the south, now gun 'toten westerner),
for me that list also needs:
*a moist dressing with oysters, onions, celery, etc.
*a gallon of light brown turkey gravy,
*a green bean casserole, and
*white mashed potatoes to house a lake of 'dat gravy.

New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 11:48 am 
Registered Users

As Chawlie said...
ALWAYS???
Give me a break...
These people actually get paid to write this stuff!!!

OH BTW:
chawlie wrote:
I have never heard of roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, although it sounds good.
ALWAYS?... NO WAY
Good?... YUP

Got a classic fer ya...
The south is the only place where...
Mac-N-Cheese shows up on the veggie sides list