Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Memories from a Thanksgiving Past...
New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 12:19 pm 
Registered Users

Every year I present a long soliloquy...
(is that a proper word usage CITTI?)
about a beautiful Thanksgiving I had as a young child.

I am hoping some one would tell a story
from there past Thanksgiving...
My Favorite Holiday. :D

All of a sudden...
It's Beginning to Feel like the Holidays are here.

Start us off Citti...
aboy

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Memories from a Thanksgiving Past...
New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 7:44 pm 
Registered Users

'Tis one of the many funny things about the mind, I think I read somewhere once that we humans use only 10% of our brain capacity. Heck nowadays some days, I haveta stop and think of my address. The mind can recall, sometimes verbatim, many events. And, even when the grey matter gets dusty, we can often paraphrase. So, yes aboy, soliloquy is properly used up there. Moreover, the word is spot-on! We all have our own writing places. And most of mine come best when alone and pensive and reflective and, well, rewinding:

We had cooks galore in the core and extended families. Our folks learned how to make-do from make-dos. They shared recipes with any others who'd ask. They volunteered at church bazaars, especially on Friday's to help raise money and to help fund their church pantry to feed more needy, Thanksgiving or not. Those are only some of the things I remember about Thanksgivings past.

But, from one thanksgiving past -- and I don't know when -- it was when We became a part of They: Our elders and we young folks.

It was, I recall, a pre-pronouncement before the blessing of the food, when We, young and elders together, shared in the importance of sharing and caring.

But then the wanna-be stand ups started auditioning: "How come we ain't got but one fried turkey?" or "I don't know about that, but how come we got these [four, I think] hams and it ain't even Easter?" or Uncle whatsizzzname bellowing, "You mean y'awll ain't got no vodka in this place?"

Then the food was blessed. And after we had feasted on This and That, and before we parted ways, we gave Thanks for the treasure of Family!

New postPosted: November 21st, 2017, 11:49 pm 
Registered Users

Ok... Here I go :)

A Thanksgivings Story
(This is my favorite story; I've post it every year... Only updating my age)
Please join in with YOUR favorite memory of Thanksgiving Past...

I grew up around the seafood industry and my Dad would spend much time on the Mississippi Gulf Coast in and around Biloxi.
In the summer my family and two of his partner’s family would spend many weeks in a place called Ramsey Springs in Purvis/Wiggins Ms. north of Biloxi.

As we got to know the elderly couple who rented the cabins and the rustic hotel there, we were treated like family. One summer they invited us back for a Thanksgiving Feast… We accepted and come the 4th Wednesday in November we headed up for the festivities.

In was in the early/mid fifties and the ride up was very memorable.
When we left New Orleans the weather was turning unusually cold and about 20 miles from our destination the clouds were getting darker and darker. My Mom broke out her rosary... (Dad kept driving but I recall a light voice keeping pace with Mom and me as the precipitation on the windshield of the ’51 Buick was starting to stick).

The last five miles of the trip was navigated over a gravel road. Mom thanked the Lord as friend greeted us at the hotel lobby... Dad said, “Piece of cake, I had it under control”
Yeah! He was always assuring us everything was okay.
I miss them both terribly!

We ate a nice supper… chicken and dumpling and fresh apple pie stick in my mind. That night I couldn't’t sleep as I stared out my upstairs window at what looked like 50 feet of snow… actually it was only a few inches but I think that may have been the most snow I had ever witnessed at that time.

I didn't make it for breakfast as Mom allowed me to sleep in. She brought up a a couple of fresh biscuits with homemade honey and a glass of milk. I gobbled that down and headed outside…

Immediately I was ambushed with about 100 snowballs. The fight lasted until it was time to eat. A local Baptist Minster told a wonderful story that has lasted in my memory nearly 60 years later… The meal was out of this world… Funny thing... I remember the fried chicken, the ham, the roast, the stuffing, the veggies and the pies but I can’t recall the turkey.

Later that evening we went on a hayride and roasted wieners and marshmallows. A fire warmed us, but it was the glow on the faces of friend long removed from my every day life that I fondly recall. "Memories" like that are hard to replace and Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year…
I thank the Lord for allowing me to have lived 73 years on this beautiful earth and for all the good times especially the ones involving Thanksgiving.

The next morning we packed up and everybody headed in different directions...
As we hit the city limits the temperature was a balmy 70 degrees.

For some reason even though we planned to go back again the following years… we never did. The kids got older and the parents have passed.
But the memories will never fade...

Sorry Gang,
I got carried away there but...
I would like to invite all to share any special Thanksgiving story.
I for one would love to hear them.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL,
aboy

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 3:04 am 
Registered Users

Awthuh, I remembah dat story, and it still touches ma hawt. So I'm gonna copy and paste a post of mines from 2012, from da hawt.

In fact, in addition to the below, if y'all stick around until the end, I will post the link to all 4 pages of that thread.

It was 2005. After working exclusively overseas since 1980, I finally found stateside work, in Baton Rouge with the Shaw Group's federal division, doing hurricane relief and flood protection, starting November 15. I had driven down from our house near Stagecoach, Nevada, in the Protégé crammed full of clothes and things, and arrived at my mother’s house in old Metairie Saturday afternoon, so we had a good visit before I reported to work on Monday. My mother and I had a lot of catching up to do because I had been away from home so much. When I was working overseas, in my bachelor days I usually came home only once a year, usually at Christmas.

In 2005 my mother was 80 years old, confined to a wheelchair, hard of hearing, and mostly blind from diabetic retinopathy, but still had all her wits about her, and was still in her own house of 50+ years, living alone and getting around okay, with daily visits from my brother or sister, or a home health nurse. My sister and her family of 6 had just moved “home” from our mother’s house and into their FEMA trailer in their driveway after Katrina left 18” of water in their house in Pontchartrain Gardens, I think they call it, in Metairie, between Clearview and Transcontinental, a few houses North of West Esplanade. (It’s hard for me to think of anything that far from Metairie Road as Metairie, but what else are you going to call it?)

Shaw’s holidays included Thanksgiving Day and the Friday, so I volunteered to cook at my mother’s house. When I drove down from Baton Rouge, I took Airline Highway because I hadn’t seen it in so long. When I got to Reserve, I changed the radio to WTIX, and was treated to Arlo Guthrie’s Alice’s Restaurant.

Objectively speaking, there was nothing really special about the food, although it was good, if I say so myself (but I had an expert consultant supervising my work in the kitchen). Turkey with my mother’s half corn bread and half French bread stuffing, rice, gravy, mashed potatoes, asparagus, cranberry sauce (artistically sculpted into the traditional cylinder shape), dinner rolls, and potatoes sautéed in olive oil with rosemary for my Jewish in-laws who couldn’t mix the dairy in the mashed potatoes with the turkey meat. We didn’t have hollandaise with the asparagus, no fresh cranberry concoctions from some magazine, no egg nog from scratch, no home-made desserts, nor any of my mother’s other specialties, but that wasn’t important. I don’t even remember what we had for dessert.

What I do remember was how great it was to have so much of the family there. My older brother couldn’t be there, as he was working in Louisville at the time. My youngest brother was home in San Francisco. But my younger brothers from Algiers and Dallas came, as well as our baby sister’s tribe and her mother-in-law, so the dining table was full. It was wonderful to have three generations of family around the table.

We engaged in one of our family traditions. Whichever of us kids thinks of it first, compliments our mother on the meal while elbowing his neighbor in the ribs, and this is passed around the table like a wave in a stadium. After dinner my sister confided that turkey with stuffing and gravy is her very favorite meal, and thanked me for it.

That was our mother’s last Thanksgiving. She passed away, apparently from a heart attack, on April 20, 2006, while our youngest brother was visiting from San Francisco. I feel like it was meant to be, that I was able to give her a great Thanksgiving and be there for Christmas. In February I moved from Baton Rouge to home when my job transferred to New Orleans, so I was fortunate to be with her for weekends from mid-November until February, and every day after that, until her big heart gave out and she left us.

http://mrlake.fncinc.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11860

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 1:37 pm 
Registered Users

WOW...

Thank you chawlie for finding that thread. :)

I read all of them.
What a list of friends that have moved away from our forum.

If I get the big side of the wishbone...
I'm gonna wish that they all check in and decide to return.

Happy Thanksgiving, My Friends...
And remember to always
STAY HUNGRY,
aboy

New postPosted: November 24th, 2017, 7:43 pm 
Registered Users

A warm family story, Chawlie.

New postPosted: November 25th, 2017, 7:10 pm 
Registered Users

My most thankful Thanksgiving was as an inpatient on Tower 14 of Bethesda Navy Hospital, Maryland in 1969. Go Navy!

New postPosted: November 26th, 2017, 12:26 am 
Registered Users

Frank, it's good to see you around here again. Glad Bethesda took care of you. Sorry to hear that Navy's football team lost to Houston.