Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently February 20th, 2018, 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What is the Perfect Burger to you?
New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 7:09 am 
Registered Users

If it can't be grilled, then definitely cooked in a cast iron skillet.

I love finely grated potato mixed in with 80/20 if it's going to be an inside burger.

Mayonnaise (Duke's of course), French's yellow, Heinz 57, dill pickle slices, caramelized onions, and if there's cheese, I prefer pepper jack.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What is the Perfect Burger to you?
New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 7:34 pm 
Registered Users

The patty should be cooked on the bbq grill, if possible. Mayo, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, salt, and grated cheddar cheese.

New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 8:07 pm 
Registered Users

For me. I start with in house double coarse ground chuck, or rump, or eye of round. Haven't tried brisket yet. Burger cooked medium rare. Toasted seeded roll. Homemade kimmelweck rolls are very good too. Cheese, what ever my mood. Extra sharp cheddar, or blue, or Asiago, or Swiss. Any melting cheese is good. Mayo on the toasted bun. Burger on the bottom, topped with tomato, raw red onion, sliced pickle, lettuce, and close the lid.

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 10:10 am 
Registered Users

JimZ wrote:
For me. I start with in house double coarse ground chuck, or rump, or eye of round. Haven't tried brisket yet. Burger cooked medium rare. Toasted seeded roll. Homemade kimmelweck rolls are very good too. Cheese, what ever my mood. Extra sharp cheddar, or blue, or Asiago, or Swiss. Any melting cheese is good. Mayo on the toasted bun. Burger on the bottom, topped with tomato, raw red onion, sliced pickle, lettuce, and close the lid.

You sum it up quite well.

For some time now I have been keeping a 32 oz jar of Marie's Bleu Cheese Dressing in the fridge, and often (like on a burger or a BLT) I'll use it in place of the mayo.

Attachments:
Marie's.jpg
Marie's.jpg [ 8 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 1:03 pm 
Registered Users

Definitely Chuck...
Well done... (steak medium, but cook my ground meat)
Dressed... (that means pickle also)

aboy

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 6:51 pm 
Registered Users

"Perfect Burger?" Only had one 'burger in my entire life!.....Now; wait! Before You say "Stop with lie, Ben!", I repeat: 'Only one 'burger....' and that is because my very first 'burger came -- Eat what's put in front of you, chirrens!,' momma'nem would admonish --without cheese. After that, I tacitly refused to eat another 'burger without cheese. And got away with it. And, apparently, lived to tell about it.

A self-acknowledged curmudgeon, periodically, I have to wag a fanger at (and hopefully not skewing) the question, because, while that one 'burger was thoroughly -- and likely, perfectly -- cooked, I knew, somehow, that something else was needed: Cheese!

Excellent question, BTW.

But if I gotta eat a 'burger, I vote, too, that the meat ought to be grilled.

Alas and ahh well;...Holy Ground Beef, Batman!, now that I've made a perfect mess of myself by "burgling" this thread about 'burgers, I'll get my buns outta heah!

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 11:19 pm 
Registered Users

My perfect burger has onion powder, garlic powder, and Tony's powder mixed in the ground beef before making patties. I have not yet experimented with grated potato in the mix, or putting the cheese inside. I form the patties by hand, with a dimple in the middle, so that when they cook, the tops and bottoms do not bulge but come out level. I have a tendency to make them too thick, no matter how good my intentions when I start. I cook them medium (pink throughout, neither red nor brown).

My usual practice is to buy a lot of ground beef, pre-cook a lot of burgers until rare but not yet medium, and freeze them in zipper storage bags, ready for nuking up to medium when I feel the need for a burger.

When I cook, and not just for burgers but for almost everything, it seems silly to go through all that effort just for one meal for one person, so I cook a lot and freeze a lot. I like being able to choose from a variety of pre-cooked entrees in the freezer, in single portion containers, ready to microwave. This works for bringing lunch to the office, and for dinner after work.

A slice of charp cheddar is needed, heated just enough to loosen but not drip.

I like lots of catsup. It belongs on the bottom, with a generous amount of pickles, in fact a full layer, either dill or preferably bread and butter. Mynez goes on top, preferably Blue Plate. (I tried Duke's, but didn't re-order.) Lettuce goes on top of the cheese, and thin sliced tomato on top of that, next to the mynez.

I don't grill over here in the sandbox, and my cast arn cookware is all in Houston, but I agree that burgers or steaks are best grilled, with cast arn as a strong second best.

The bun should be multigrain. If I can't get it in the shape of the bun, I would rather use regular multigrain bread, toasted, than a bun that's not multigrain. If I can't get multigrain, whole wheat will do. (I'm just not a white bread kind of guy.) I don't usually toast the bun, but agree that it improves the package.

Last month at home I tried a Whataburger for the first time. Not too bad, but not home made. It's a Texas chain, and okay for a chain, but nothing special.

Burger trivia. Ray Krock didn't like tomatoes, so you won't find them at Mickey Dee's. The Big Mac (or should it be Big Mc because it's McDonald's, not MacDonald's?) famously has "two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, pickles, onion on a sesame seed bun" but no tomato.

Although it's not my preferred burger, I am rewinding to Jimmy Buffett's Cheeseburger in Paradise. "I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes, Heinz 57 and French fried potatoes, big kosher pickle and a cold draft beer...".

New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 10:39 am 
Registered Users

If you search Youtube for America's Test Kitchen Butter Burger demonstration, I'd have to say after trying last week, I have a new favorite. It was delicious.

I've definitely used thick/chunky bleu cheese dressing as a good way to get a bleu cheese burger. I would have put mayo on my burger, so here it is all mixed up already.