Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently February 20th, 2018, 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: KNIFE AND FORK...
New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:07 am 
Registered Users

Yesterday morning I made Eggs Benedict for 8 of my Saint's ticket holders...
(Early tailgaters heading to Champion Square for the game)

After saying grace and throwing in a plug for victory... LOL
everyone proceeded to grab their knife and fork
Wow... what an array of utensil usage:

Some cut with their dominant hand and used the fork with the other hand.
Some cut with their other hand and used the fork with their dominant hand.
Some switched hands after cutting.

lolly, I wonder if you would like to post that on your site and tell us the results.

aboy

Last edited by aboy on January 9th, 2018, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Attention lolly: Knife and Fork
New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:36 am 
Registered Users

I know that I always do the switcheroo. I think it is a very 'proper Victorian/Edwardian' thing to always hold the knife in left hand, always fork, downturned tines, in the right.

Post subject: Re: Attention lolly: Knife and Fork
New postPosted: January 8th, 2018, 2:55 pm 
Registered Users

I'll ask!

Post subject: Re: KNIFE AND FORK...
New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 1:11 pm 
Registered Users

Okay I changed the title of the thread...
I wanted lolly to ask her members, since she has such a large forum.

BUTTT...
What about the rest of us?
chawlie, Awt, ilkienola, Citti and other regulars.

I really was amazed when I noticed
how different each person handled their knife and fork.

BTW: I cut with dominant (right hand) and don't switch
... fork facing down.

Thanks in advance for amuzing me ;) :lol: :)
aboy

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 1:21 pm 
Registered Users

Switch

New postPosted: January 9th, 2018, 7:27 pm 
Registered Users

Good golly Mz lolly; am sho'nuf awaiting your call!

"Knife And Fork..." We might be here until this time next year on this subject.
Oh my the treasure-trove of topics that

Dammmit; I'm still trying to get around to tigersbh's "grilling outdoors" thread!

Whoooowee- Talk about "Edwardian"! Whippersnappers won't know about an long-ago newspaper columnist called Ms/Miss Manners: At one time in the life in these United States' eateries, she held more sway than some food writers. Why? Because during that era, manners -- often more than money -- mattered. So lettuce Us segue to Food:

Lemme run this right to food and 'Knives and Forks.' A server lost her job because of the repeated wrong placement of forks. As it was, she could not get it right on the dinner and salad fork. So her demise came when she crossed a cherished, deep-pockets customer by placing forks in the wrong place where his wife sat.

The employee apologized and promised to do better. But the owner caved in to 'What if she, or some of your help does this in front of one of our main clients?'

Sometimes, Things can cut like a knife and even the second tine around.

New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 10:13 am 
Registered Users

Let's see if the cut and paste method will work here for sharing the responses:

Let's discuss dining manners or habits. Say you are cutting into a nice steak or pork chop, or even an order of Eggs Benedict.
Do you:
Cut with your dominant hand and used the fork with the other hand;
Cut with your other hand and used the fork with the dominant hand;
or
Switch hands after cutting?

Judi JuJu Adams Switch hands about 80%; 20% cut with dominant and use fork with other hand.

Amy Jennifer Switch

Lane Hopper Lord I cut with the dominant and use my fork to convey the very eagerly anticipated bite to my mouth. However, once I head to a side, the fork is in the dominant hand, or someone will need to put a cork on my fork tines.

Betty Stephenson Cut with dominant hand then switch.

Charlie Dupre What JuJu said.

Patti Young Switch after cutting

Elizabeth Renfroe Switch after cutting and only cut what I am going to eat for that bite.

Judy Sweatman I cut w/ my dominant hand and hold the fork in my non-dominant hand. I do not switch hands to eat..

Stella Cummings Fagan Cut with dominant, (right) and then switch the fork to my right.

Kim Flowers I actually cut with my non- dominant hand and switch nothing lol I am left handed , but I use my right hand to cut with . The World wasn’t nice to left handed people . I had to learn to use my right hand for some things . Lol

Sonja McHaney Elliott well, i write with my left, use scissors with my right, ambi here...either one i use works...hahaaah

Sue Armbrust Niemann I’m a switcher!

Susan Berry Cut with my dominant hand and hold meat with fork then I put my knife down and put my fork in dominant to eat

Dana Brumbelow I cut with “the other” hand (my right hand) and use the fork with my (left) dominant hand. I’m left handed so this feels natural, but I think the etiquette books call it “continental” style.

Craig M. Smith Everyone makes fun of me for eating Continental style

Amy Gilchrist Durham I know I’m supposed to cut & switch but I didn’t learn this until after I was well into adulthood. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don’t.

Sandi Happy Sparks Here, mostly switch. When “in Rome,” never. It’s silly, unnecessary, rude.

Karen Davis Growing up we would just pick up our pork chop and eat it with our hands! And naw our t bone steak bone... we were not very civilized

Sue Armbrust Niemann I can honestly say I’ve never ever noticed how someone was eating their steak. I might notice the position of the fork however....

Rhonda Stephens Kontos I am left handed. My mother who was right handed messed me so I often switch hands and don’t know it. But growing up in a right handed world is use both hands quite effectively. I do mainly cut with my right hand and forks stays in the left.

Kerri Harris Diaz Cut with dominant hand, switch maybe half the time.

Kenneth David Harris Control knife with dominant hand.

Alli March Cut with dominant hand and do not switch when eating.
Manage

Kimberleigh Wallace I always cut with my right hand and eat with my left. I am ambidextrous. But this is what I was taught.

Benilda Kelley Cut with your dominant hand, in my case , my rt hand & switch hands after cutting.

Benilda Kelley What do you say Lolly?

Fleur de Lolly I cut with my dominant hand and switch hands to take my bite. I'm afraid if I tried to get my fork to my mouth with my left hand, I'd stab myself in the face. lol

Jeffrey Jones cut with dominant hand lay the knife across the plate edge and use your dominant hand to eat with,

Vicki Ellis I broke my arm/wrist several years ago, and became pretty ambidextrous fast. Try writing a check! Now, I drink left handed and eat with either.

Susan Brown Galloway cut with dominate too.

Amanda Tigerlily Thompson I’m ambidextrous and don’t eat a lot of meat, so I’m not really sure which I would do. But I eat green beans with my fingers (only at home) and it drives my mom NUTS. But we don’t put on airs when we eat. Elbows on tables are fine too.

Tina Bryant Sewell Cut and switch.

Sonya Gray Garmany I'm a cut and switch girl.

Nola Kelley Switch

Maggie Davis Cut with dominant hand, fork in other hand. I cut with right and fork in left.

New postPosted: January 10th, 2018, 10:29 am 
Registered Users

I cut with the dominant hand, and then switch. Seems to waste a lot of time - switching. I also do another thing, frowned upon my many. I'll cut say half of my piece of meat into pieces all at once. ;)

Another thing on this topic. It really bugs me when I see someone eating by piling food in the back side of their down-turned fork - particularly peas. Engineer's mind, too logical. :?

Last edited by Sharkys Pal on January 10th, 2018, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.