Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently October 24th, 2017, 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rising Tide-the great Mississippi flood of 1927
New postPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 7:24 am 
Registered Users

and how it changed America. I had two people that I met down there suggest this as a good read. I got it yesterday.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Rising Tide-the great Mississippi flood of 1927
New postPosted: October 2nd, 2010, 11:45 am 
Registered Users

There is a bluff on the eastern side of the Mississippi at Vicksburg, and the high water mark for that flood is clearly marked. Amazing.

New postPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 9:13 am 
Registered Users

That was a terrific book. John M. Barry also wrote the the Great Influenza. Seems to me that some scientific work recently indicated that that pandemic flu strain was not particularly fatal, but that many of the cases died from a bacterial infection.

I read David Brinkley's The Great Deluge on Hurricane Katrina. That sucked so bad that I had to throw it away before I could finish it. It was riddled with factual and grammatical errors and was not especially well written. I am so anal when I read anything that I get put off by these things. I told Mr. Brinkley when I met him just after the book came out that I would send him the errors, but I burned out three-fourths through the book and a legal size page of my notes.

G. J.

New postPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 1:43 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
Gentilly Johnny wrote:
That was a terrific book. John M. Barry also wrote the the Great Influenza. Seems to me that some scientific work recently indicated that that pandemic flu strain was not particularly fatal, but that many of the cases died from a bacterial infection.

I read David Brinkley's The Great Deluge on Hurricane Katrina. That sucked so bad that I had to throw it away before I could finish it. It was riddled with factual and grammatical errors and was not especially well written. I am so anal when I read anything that I get put off by these things. I told Mr. Brinkley when I met him just after the book came out that I would send him the errors, but I burned out three-fourths through the book and a legal size page of my notes.

G. J.

I agree with you G.J., on the Brinkley book. For someone who is supposed to be so such an eminent historian, I was sorely disappointed. I lived in Metairie for 32 years and although I have been away for 22 years now, there are some things that are indelibly etched in my brain. One of those is that Sam's (yoosta be Real Superstore) at Cleary and Airline could not have had a parking lot littered with glass from the Galleria because the Galleria is at Causeway and I-10. Huh? What's up with that? When I read that, it completely discredited the entire book.

New postPosted: October 17th, 2010, 9:29 am 
Registered Users

This is full of information not light reading for sure. I have learned two things. One, "peavine" came from a description of the Miss river. Two-teddy bear came from a incident where Pres Teddy R couldnt shoot a bear that was tied up. And lots more! That a levee was probably blown up to protect business district earlier. That hundreds of blacks were ordered to lie on a levee to prevent breeching of a levee. Lots of info in this book.

New postPosted: October 21st, 2010, 7:39 am 
Registered Users

OK I finally finished this book. It has been like a albatross on shoulder. I couldnt quit reading it but it took forever to finish. So much information. So many people it affected.

New postPosted: March 25th, 2011, 8:16 pm 
Registered Users

I am so anal when I read anything that I get put off by these things. I told Mr. Brinkley when I met him just after the book came out that I would send him the errors, but I burned out three-fourths through the book and a legal size page of my notes.