Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pontchartrain Beach pictures
New postPosted: July 16th, 2012, 2:37 am 
Here's some pictures of Pontchartain Beach I've not seen before.
http://www.demajo.net/pontchartrain_beach/

Post subject: Re: Pontchartrain Beach pictures
New postPosted: July 16th, 2012, 8:53 am 
Registered Users

I was in a fashion show as a child on the "unique stage" that looks like a boat -- wow, seeing the boat brought back memories of being "backstage" and being nervous about going on. My sister and I were "daughters" of a couple of models, and we all four had coordinating outfits. I guess I was about 6 or 8.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: July 16th, 2012, 9:09 pm 
Thanks for the link, Dale. Great pics.

Not pictured on that page is (or was) my favorite of all the Pontchartrain Beach funhouses. It had an outer space theme, and you entered via a mirror maze. Anyone else remember it?

New postPosted: July 17th, 2012, 11:39 pm 
Registered Users

Oh yes TS, I remember that maze well! I had no idea which way to go. I think my sister led me through. I can remember a ton of fluorescent yellow lights too, which added to the confusion. I thought I would never get out of there!

In kiddy land, I remember the boats, Jr Zephyr and the fishing game. Can remember first Zephyr ride like it was yesterday. One summer, they had a show in kiddyland where chickens would walk out and do tricks. I remember one that would play the piano.

I remember playing the putt-putt, "Around the World in 18 Holes." Always thought the Bali Hai was the best looking, most clsassy restaurant I had ever seen! Unfortunately, never had chance to dine there.

I still miss that place...

New postPosted: July 18th, 2012, 12:44 am 
Site Admin

Of all the sights and sounds Pontchartrain Beach provided my favorite was the automated fortune teller in the Penny Arcade. Creepy but so fascinating.

Loved Bali Hai. And The Bug -- one of the oldest rides out there.

New postPosted: July 18th, 2012, 4:01 am 

wow dale. thank you. my favorite ride was the zephyr as i love wooden rollercoasters. i remember all of the pics except of course the ones from 1890 etc...

the wild maus was scary as hell. i rode it once. forget ferris wheels. they are too slow to be so high. i am afraid of height so that didn't work for me although i went on the damned thing a few times only to be stuck at the top and being white as a sheet as my friends rocked the car back and forth. one thing that really sticks in my mind is when my boyfriend gene and i were robbed in the haunted house. yes, we loved it and we went there to sneak lots of kisses. in the 80's, people were jumping out of the cars and waiting for others to pass. when the cars were going slow, we were approached by some guys who took our money. we were scared. no guns involved, just intimidation. that is when i felt sad about how things seemed to be changing there. the music express was my favorite. i hated the sky ride. i loved the ragin cajun. i loved the bali hai. i had a tiki glass from there that was in my attic and when the roof caved in my house from katrina, it destroyed everything in the attic. that one little thing still upsets me.

once again, thank you for sharing the pics and the story. harry batt III was my dentist for a long time before i left n.o. i loved him. pontchartrain beach was brilliance. POP.

New postPosted: July 18th, 2012, 4:09 am 

Mr. Lake wrote:
Of all the sights and sounds Pontchartrain Beach provided my favorite was the automated fortune teller in the Penny Arcade. Creepy but so fascinating.

Loved Bali Hai. And The Bug -- one of the oldest rides out there.

i loved the fortune teller in the penny arcade. that brought me back to her moving and talking. yep. creepy but soooo intriguing.

i want to say i remember the bug. please refresh my memory. you know i have CRS

New postPosted: July 18th, 2012, 8:20 am 
Global Moderators

Those fortune teller machines remind me of the movie "Big" where Tom Hanks is sent back to his childhood by a Zoltan machine at Salem Willows Park in Salem, MA. Loved the Bali Hai, myself and collected several items from there. While rummaging around in a closet recently I found a sort of Tiki mug fog cutter cup which I gave to Errol Laborde and Peggy Scott Laborde when I learned that they had their weddding reception at Bali Hai.
Attachment:
BaliHai002-vi.jpg
BaliHai002-vi.jpg [ 22.41 KiB | Viewed 2196 times ]