Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lakefront Airport
New postPosted: January 29th, 2013, 9:13 pm 
Registered Users

When I was a child, and when the Superbowl was in New Orleans, we would all jump in the car immediately after the game. We would stick around and watch the private jets take off. It was always cool to watch, and to see who was getting on the planes.

In college, my husband and I attended his fraternity's Winter Formal in the "ballroom" type room there. After Super Bowl 2002, he and I raced to the airport to watch the jets again, but post 911, it wasn't the same.

I have many fond memories of that airport. The Enrique Alfarez sculptures and its art deco design made it hip in my eyes. We used to go see the Goodyear blimp while it was visiting town.

We made a trip out there recently and it was under tremendous construction. I turned around in the parking lot and left.

Does anyone else have a fondness for this airport? Anyone know if I can still take my kids out there after the Super Bowl in this post 911 world?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lakefront Airport
New postPosted: January 29th, 2013, 10:22 pm 
Global Moderators

I used to take Frankie's kids out there for Sunday breakfast. The restaurant had huge windows and we could watch the aircraft taking off and landing. Don't know if that's still going on.

I take a ride to Lakefront Airport occasionally to enjoy Rickey (Enrique) Alferez' Fountain of the Four Winds. I am an avid fan of his and had the pleasure of knowing him when I was a young cop working in the Vieux Carre'.
Attachment:
Fountain of the Four Winds.jpg
Fountain of the Four Winds.jpg [ 60.85 KiB | Viewed 1844 times ]

"The artist gained the most notice for the "Fountain of the Four Winds" sculpture that he created for the New Orleans Lakefront Airport in 1937, which included a well-endowed nude male. City officials ordered Alferez to chisel off the genitalia, but the artist refused. To ensure that no one desecrated his artwork, he stood guard with a rifle until Eleanor Roosevelt intervened to save the statue." (From the blog, "Notes in a Bottle").

New postPosted: January 30th, 2013, 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Lot's of work done/being done to restore it to its original Art Deco glory. See http://www.lakefrontairport.com/lakefro ... story.html

Having said that, Abe Shushan (the airport was named for him) was a crook.

New postPosted: January 30th, 2013, 3:05 am 
Global Moderators

Mr. Lake wrote:
Having said that, Abe Shushan (the airport was named for him) was a crook.

Be careful, now! Attorney Jonathan Shushan, one of our contributors, is a relative! LOL! No harm done, he and I and Frankie recently did lunch at Cafe Minh.

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 2:25 pm 
Registered Users

Praline,

Have always loved it! The room the dance you went to was most likely "The Walnut Room" they also did wedding receptions. There was a weekend breakfast buffet that closed before the great flood of 2005. It is such a stunning building. I live close to it and pass it several times a week. Sunday it looked like the mall parking lot at Christmas but it was airplanes instead of suv's. Last year they had an air show and planes from WWII in the airfield. It was really neat. Hope they get the building back open soon...

http://photos.nola.com/4500/gallery/res ... index.html

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 2:44 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
I was out there once not long before the D-Day Museum opened up. They needed additional funds for the museum so Stephen Ambrose held a casual shindig in one of the hangars featuring an open bar and stands set up with street vendors, such as Lucky Dogs and Manuel's, old WWII vehicles and planes, and he also spoke. He invited his former History major students to attend at $100 a ticket to raise money. I received the letter and as luck would have it, was already planning a trip to N.O. that week so was able to just change it to arrive a day early and make the event. I enjoyed the setting and the event and was glad I was in a position to contribute to the success of the museum.

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the link to the photos, Suzy. Spectacular renovation of an Art Deco treasure!

And welcome back to the forum! It's nice to "see" you again, here.

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 4:32 pm 
Registered Users

I got my pilots license there in 1984...haven't been out to NEW (It's airport identifier) since Katrina.
It's a nice airport but taking off to the north on a cloudy day is testy - no horizon...