Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 19th, 2017, 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Lakefront Airport
New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 4:35 pm 
Registered Users

Good to "see" you again Suzy.
When I was in high school we would go skin diving/spear fishing off the airport lakefront airport.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 7:55 pm 
Registered Users

:D Thank You, Mr Lake and Frank. I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness. Nice to see you both as well...

Again, great links and information from everyone. I am glad my son who will be 15 :shock: in a couple weeks used to explore the Lakefront Airport lobby/restaurant as a youngster and went back to see the WWII planes. He is so interested in the D Day Museum and WWII...

New postPosted: February 5th, 2013, 10:14 pm 
Registered Users

Quote:
my son who will be 15
Oh my goodness!

New postPosted: February 26th, 2013, 12:50 am 
Registered Users

I sit on my deck now for the big events like Super Bowl, NBA All Stars, TPC Golf Classic, and just watch the private/corporate jets stream in from the south and east. It is like a parade! The really big wheels do not even fly in until the day of the big events. Some of the planes are almost as big as the smaller commercial jets.

I can remember in the 60's they had signs along the lakefront directing you to the Walnut Room. My sisters used to go there frequently. I always wanted to, but ...alas...

I did get to do some runway repair work at the Airport in '71 & '72 while working for Fleming Asphalt. I believe minimum wage for me at the time was about $1.35 or $1.45. But when we worked at the airport, they had to pay us Union scale, which was about $6.00. Everybody had a big smile on their face when we were working at the Lakefront Airport!

Just going out there seems to bring you back to a bygone era.

Working at Lykes when Regan was running for President, they brought us out on busses to see him give a speech in one of the hangars. Pretty big crowd.

Glad they are refurbishing!

New postPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 10:21 am 
Registered Users

Oyster wrote:
I did get to do some runway repair work at the Airport in '71 & '72 while working for Fleming Asphalt. I believe minimum wage for me at the time was about $1.35 or $1.45.

It had to have been higher. My first "real" job (paid by check after deductions) washing dishes offshore in 1968 was at the minimum wage of $1.60.

New postPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 11:46 am 
Registered Users

I retired in 2007 after 30 years with the La. Dept. of Labor. The first Federal Minimum wage of 25¢ and hour was effective in 1938. It had climbed to $1.60 in 1968, except for some service and farm workers who first became covered in '67 at $1.00 and didn't all reach $1.60 till '74. It's now (I think) $7.25, but some states and cities have higher minimums. Of course, waiters are not fully covered (they're "guaranteed" a total of $7.25 including tips, but they don't always get it), so remember to tip well!

New postPosted: March 4th, 2013, 8:21 pm 
Global Moderators

Oyster, I worked for Lykes for a couple of years when I stupidley left the Police Department. Lykes was on Tchoupitoulas and Felicity back then, next door to The Warehouse. The Point Bar was across the street. I worked for Charles Deblois in the Maintenance, Repair and Insurance Division and fell in love with Sandy Lopinto and Peggy Norris in the process. LOL

New postPosted: March 7th, 2013, 1:13 am 
Registered Users

Cop, I was probably in The Warehouse while you were buying drinks for Sandy and Peggy at The Point after work! :lol: I didn't go to work for Lykes until 1984 and stayed until they bailed on NOLA in 1994, so I was at the Poydras Building. We would hang at Ernst, the closest pub. Before that, I was at DeltaLine in ITM, and Victoria Station was hangout before Ernst re-opened around 1978.

...and of course there was Joe's Jungle for lunch refreshment...