Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 20th, 2018, 10:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: If you had access to a time machine.....
New postPosted: August 8th, 2013, 1:09 pm 
Registered Users

If you had access to a time machine.....

.....where might you go for a great meal event once again? New Orleans and elsewhere?

My first thought...

1967, upon completion of a three year project to convert CBS Television City, Hollywood, from B & W to Color, a sumptuous dinner at...

Tail O' The Cock
44 South La Cienega Blvd.
Hollywood

Chateaubriand For Two (for one)
Magnificent Food, including apps, sides, and desert.
Great wines.
Good company.

The photo below of the Tail o’ the Cock at 44 S. La Cienega Boulevard, aka “Restaurant Row.” Popular dinner joint famous for their America menus (steak, prime rib, etc.) and bar scene. The Tail o’ the Cock claimed to be the first place in Los Angeles to serve Margaritas and it may well have been, I don’t know.

As one might gather from the name, the big selling point at Tail o’ the Cock wasn’t the food so much as the cocktails. It was a popular place for people to meet for drinks, especially late in the afternoon. An awful lot of Hollywood deals were consummated there over martinis.

Attachments:
tailothecock.jpg
tailothecock.jpg [ 58.54 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
 Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: If you had access to a time machine.....
New postPosted: August 8th, 2013, 2:39 pm 
Registered Users

I think it would be to The Spain Restaurant on 13th Street in New York. During Christmas Break of about 1969, my family had dinner there with the family I have known since I can remember, and I contend that it was the night I became a "foodie." I had zarzuela, a Spanish seafood stew served to me in the black iron pot in which it had been cooked or, at least, reheated. A couple years ago, PaulaRat and I went back to The Spain, I had the zarzuela, and it was probably the most disappointing meal of my life. Sure, I would return for that platonic dish I remember, but I would also go back to see my friends, two of whom passed away in their thirties and two of whom are now in their nineties.

New postPosted: August 8th, 2013, 3:12 pm 
Registered Users

The Turquoise Room, La Posada Hotel in Winslow, Arizona

http://www.laposada.org/turquoise-room.html

http://www.theturquoiseroom.net/restaur ... wine-lists

New postPosted: August 8th, 2013, 4:26 pm 
Registered Users

Here: A seafood platter at Fitzgerald's, West End. As a kid it seemed like the ultimate...

There: Spring Rolls and Evil Jungle Prince at the Mekong, downtown Honolulu.
It was a great little place where it was BYOL. Closed years ago but the owner reopened as Keo's in Waikiki- a big flashy place on Kuhio Ave.
Same good food I would guess....

New postPosted: August 12th, 2013, 6:58 am 
Global Moderators

Here: Marques Brothers at Chef Menteur Pass. Their soft shell crabs were perfect.

There: I think it was Angelo's near Biloxi. An Italian restaurant with an ancient oak growing through the roof. Braciole and linguini.

One more: Espana on Jefferson Highway for paella, several pitchers of Sra. Lopez' sangria and maybe some calamaris con tinto.

New postPosted: August 12th, 2013, 10:50 am 
Registered Users

In New Orleans, to follow Jerry's lead, it would be either 1: dinner at the Napoleon House followed by cocktails at the Bombay Club and cigars walking the side streets of the Quarter or 2: brunch in the courtyard at Commander's Palace followed by a leisurely drive up The Avenue in the Miata. Those were PaulaRat's and my first and second dates. There was also a picnic of muffalettas, Zapp's, and Barq's at City Park about that time, too!
To be honest, I'd sure like to be able to have another meal with the whole gang at Camp Anella.

New postPosted: August 12th, 2013, 11:59 am 
Registered Users

Here are a few from my yoot'. My mother's pecan pie. My father's barbecue beef short ribs with my mother's version of LBJ's barbecue sauce. My Aunt Cam's file gumbo or Aunt Lillie's okra gumbo. Grandma Gallagher's pork chops.

One of the memorable meals was dining on cochinillo asado (Spanish for cochon de lait) with my (now ex-)wife and younger stepdaughter at one of the oldest restaurants in the world, Sobrino de Botín in Madrid. We also had some memorable paella at a less famous place in Madrid, close to the hotel.

My ex's crawfish pie, made with her adaptation of my mother's crawfish etouffee (no roux, no tomato, thickened with trinity sautéed for a couple of hours) and her mother's scratch pie crust.

Seafood off the boat at a South Thailand beach resort. Oops! That one won't need a time machine because I'm planning that for October. The airfare and hotel will cost less than a round trip to New Orleans.

New postPosted: August 12th, 2013, 12:41 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
My culinary tastes are simple and my list would include a seafood platter from Bruning's, shrimp remoulade from Fitzgerald's, my aunt's codfish cakes with her German potato salad and her vinegar-based coleslaw, a table full of boiled crabs from Bienvenu's on Magazine Street with a side of Dickeys potato chips (our regular Saturday night dinner during crab season), spaghetti and daube from Tony's on Bourbon Street, my mama's stuffed miriliton, and for dessert, my mama's lemon meringue pie.