Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Saenger Theater Re-Opens
New postPosted: September 30th, 2013, 2:10 am 
Registered Users

I didn't go downtown to the movies all that often, and that was part of why it was so special.

Holding a girl's hand all through the movie, or better yet, having my arm around her, were important first steps in learning the physical aspects of interacting with the fair sex back in high school daze.

As much as I hate the loss of neighborhood theaters like the Grand and Joy's Aereon, I think it was a bigger loss when we lost the big three, Saenger, RKO Orpheum, and Loew's.

Anybody willing to share some special memories of the downtown theaters?

Anybody been to the new Saenger?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Saenger Theater Re-Opens
New postPosted: October 7th, 2013, 7:37 pm 
Registered Users

I went Saturday night for Kristin Chenowith. It's even more opulent than I remember it being when I went as a child and then with my sister as an adult. We had season tickets for years.
One of the things she pointed out that was hilarious was that one of the statues lining the audience looked like he was checking his cell phone and it does! Along with the beautiful restoration, the one thing nearly every woman in the place commented on is the number of bathroom stalls in the ladies room. Remember rushing down at intermission and waiting in line praying you'd get in before the lights flashed for the second act? There's like 30 or so stalls now.
There are more bars than I remember and they serve champagne in the disposable flutes. Although I still don't agree with bringing drinks to your seat. People just put them on the floor and make it a slippery mess for when you're leaving.
The stage is much deeper than it was which should really help with big shows. It fit the entire LPO with room for Kristin to move around and for the finale, the symphony chorus was able to easily fit behind the orchestra.
I was a bit disappointed 80% of the audience did not dress for the theater but the audience proved themselves worthy. Before Chenoweth came on stage, the symphony played The Star Spangled Banner and everyone stood and sang without prompting. Then Chenoweth encouraged us to join in on Que Sera and I was thinking we sound really good for a bunch of amateurs. For the finale, the mayor started out singing "Do You Hear the People Sing" from Les Miserables and Michael Cervaris (flew in from NY) and Chenoweth joined and then members of the Gay Men's Chorus, Delgado Choir and St. Louis Cathedral Choir flowed through the aisles and the Symphony Chorus on the stage. But considering it holds 4,000 people, I stand by my theory we were all good singers.
I can't wait to see many more performances. Unfortunately, the Broadway season doesn't appeal to my tastes so I didn't get season tickets. But there are plenty of other performances I plan to attend. The Irish Tenors will be there in December and the Moscow Ballet for The Nutcracker.

Post subject: Re: Saenger Theater Re-Opens
New postPosted: October 8th, 2013, 1:08 pm 
Registered Users

I'd like to see the Book of Morman even tho I've heard it's a little racey. I can handle it and would enjoy a good laugh. I still remember the Saenger as a kid, it was wonderful!