Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Huey
New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 4:55 am 
Registered Users

I remember when my shoulders would squeeze together crossing the Huey, even on my motorcycle in my college daze.

The modernization was still incomplete when I left town, but finished shortly after. For six years I lived on "the river road" (Riverside Drive) in Harahan, less than a mile from the bridge, and watched the project with great interest.

Can those who have used the Huey in its current incarnation tell me how the traffic flow is working? Does the traffic back up at rush hour, or is it running smoothly as advertised and hoped? Overall, is it as nice a drive as we all hoped? Please share your thoughts.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Huey
New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 5:33 am 
I have crossed the Huey bridge several times since the widening project was completed. It's 500% better now. The traffic flow is smooth even during peak traffic time. It's a pleasure to use the Huey now compared to before. Here's a video of driving across the Huey from west to east banks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkqmvJXkWFU

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 9:26 am 
Registered Users

Dale, thanks for the link. Nice clip (and the music wasn't bad, either). The newly widened bridge is a beautiful thing. And I noticed that the speed limit that everybody ignores is now 50 instead of 45. Woohoo!

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 10:37 am 
Registered Users

When I saw "Huey" I thought of the The Bell UH-1 Iroquois helicopter.

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 10:47 am 
Registered Users

Great video, thanks!

New postPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 8:20 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
Ah, the old Huey P Narrow! The Huey P is what put my maternal grandfather into retirement. Before the Huey P, all of the railroad cars were ferried across the river. My grandfather worked for the Mo Pacific RR as the first mate on one of the their railroad ferries, the L.S. Thorne. Once the Huey P was opened, the railroad ferries and their crews were no longer needed.

The Huey P and all of the railroad activity in that area is the reason my parents met. My father was a New Jersey yankee stationed at Camp Plauche as a member of the 709th Grand Railway Division that was training at Camp Plauche. My mama was a student at Dominican College and hung out at the USO. The rest is family history.

New postPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 12:15 am 
Site Admin

As Okie said, we used to call it the Huey P. Narrow. It was built for the older, smaller autos of its day. If I'm not mistaken, it was built to haul trains over the river and the automobile road was somewhat of an afterthought..sort'a like, "Hell, why not stick a few traffic lanes on there".

I think I remember reading that the railroad up-ramp or down-ramp was the longest in the world, if not in the U.S.

What tickles me most about the history of the Huey P. Long Bridge in New Orleans (there's also one in Baton Rouge) is that the Metairie subdivision of Bridgedale was being touted as the place to "be" long before the bridge became a reality. Clearview Parkway and Transcontinental Drive were also planned way back before the Huey P. was built. Some people were buying swampland back then which turned into real estate gold.