Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OLD NEW ORLEANS TV PROGRAM
New postPosted: October 16th, 2008, 9:13 am 
Registered Users

There was a Saturday morning program with a host dressed up as a hippie called "The Guru" that showed movies on one of the New Orleans television stations when I was a kid. You could draw a picture of the host and mail it to the station, and they would pin it up on a bulletin board that was behind the desk where he sat while hosting the program. I cannot remember the name of the show or the name of the person who played The Guru. Does anyone remember this program? Thanks.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OLD NEW ORLEANS TV PROGRAM
New postPosted: October 17th, 2008, 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

PNG wrote:
There was a Saturday morning program with a host dressed up as a hippie called "The Guru" that showed movies on one of the New Orleans television stations when I was a kid. You could draw a picture of the host and mail it to the station, and they would pin it up on a bulletin board that was behind the desk where he sat while hosting the program. I cannot remember the name of the show or the name of the person who played The Guru. Does anyone remember this program? Thanks.

I'm reminded of Kagen's Korner (sp?) waterbed commercials. I don't remember The Guru. When did it run?

New postPosted: October 17th, 2008, 10:09 pm 
Registered Users

It must have been in the 70's sometime. I remember watching it on Saturday mornings as a kid.

New postPosted: November 8th, 2008, 9:27 am 
Registered Users

The show that you refer to ran on Channel 26 when it was very low power and was located in the ITM building at the foot of Canal Street. The Guru show was in fact a local production featuring a very new to New Orleans guy named Dan Milham. He played a Guru who with his Chopsley like sidekick commented on things and was generally comedic.
It was basically a lead in to the afternoon movie (just like Morgus the Magnificent was).
I in fact have a cassette tape made in 1974 of a Guru show (his name was Guru S. Malady).
I contacted Dan Milham @ Channel 6 who was amazed anyone even remembered that show. He told me that there were no surviving copies of that show and he was saddened by that because that was the beginning of his career in New Orleans (he also worked at WGSO radio at that time). I burned a copy of the audio on CD and brought it with me to Channel 6. Dan was very cordial and gave both my son and I a tour of the Weather Center. He is a very nice man. So I hope I answered your question.

New postPosted: November 8th, 2008, 9:44 am 
Registered Users

yatster-love your name!

New postPosted: November 8th, 2008, 10:09 am 

PNG- I LOVED that show. I am almost sure the song in the beginning was "if you knew Guru like I know Guru..."

I remember watching it religiously. I had no clue that was Dan Milham. Pretty cool.

New postPosted: November 11th, 2008, 9:51 am 
Registered Users

Yatster wrote:
The show that you refer to ran on Channel 26 when it was very low power and was located in the ITM building at the foot of Canal Street. The Guru show was in fact a local production featuring a very new to New Orleans guy named Dan Milham. He played a Guru who with his Chopsley like sidekick commented on things and was generally comedic.
It was basically a lead in to the afternoon movie (just like Morgus the Magnificent was).
I in fact have a cassette tape made in 1974 of a Guru show (his name was Guru S. Malady).
I contacted Dan Milham @ Channel 6 who was amazed anyone even remembered that show. He told me that there were no surviving copies of that show and he was saddened by that because that was the beginning of his career in New Orleans (he also worked at WGSO radio at that time). I burned a copy of the audio on CD and brought it with me to Channel 6. Dan was very cordial and gave both my son and I a tour of the Weather Center. He is a very nice man. So I hope I answered your question.

Get out of here! Dan Milham! I had no idea either. Thank you for the information. I remember the show very well as he posted a picture that I drew of him on his board and faded to it when going to commercials for that day. I was hopping up and down in the living room and yelling for my Momma and sisters to come see it. Thanks for the information!