Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 23rd, 2018, 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Flu (please share)
New postPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 2:25 pm 
Registered Users

1.) You CAN get the flu even if you received the flu vaccine

2.) You have a virus with a course of 7-14 days during which you are going to feel like you want to die; you may/will have fever, chills, severe headache, sore throat, chest congestion, nasal congestion, coughing, sneezing, sore throat, severe weakness/lethargy, nausea/vomiting, diarrhea and severe body/joint aches

3.) Go to your primary care doctor or urgent care FIRST, but know there is little they can do to help you; the only thing they can help you with is medication for severe coughing unresponsive to over the counter medications or severe diarrhea/vomiting. You do not need antibiotics unless you develop a secondary lung infection.

4.) DON'T come to the ER unless you have shortness of breath, you cannot keep down fluids for 24 hours or have persistent liquid stools accompanied by dizziness, fast heart rate or low blood pressure

5.) Tamiflu is an antiviral drug that is found to be mostly ineffective, and comes with significant side effects and price tag. I believe in Tamiflu, Ask your doctor then you decide.

6.) DO take Tylenol AND Advil/Motrin/Aleve at MAX doses (unless contraindicated by health issues) to alleviate fever, headache and body aches

7.) DO take over-the-counter flu remedies. Be careful taking combinations of different medications to avoid overdosing and over-treating (for example, some flu medicines already have Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in them)

8.) Use home remedies such as "hot toddies" (whiskey/lemon/honey FOR ADULTS ONLY), hot showers, vapor rubs, vapor humidifiers, essential oils, etc.

9.) Drink TONS of fluids! Hot liquids and soups may be helpful. Try to maintain nutritious intake. Milk products may thicken mucus and worsen coughs.

10.) A rule of thumb about coughing-
a.) If it's productive, DO NOT suppress it with meds;
b.) If it's non-productive, DO suppress it (but make sure you're properly hydrated or your cough will be dry and more prolonged).
c.) Elevate your head when you sleep to decrease coughing/secretions.

11.) PLAN AHEAD--stock up now on necessary medications, juices and drinks, soups, popsicles, and broth so you'll be ready. This time of year it is not unusual to find store shelves empty. You won't want to go shopping when you or a loved one is sick.

12.) DO NOT GO OUT IN PUBLIC!! An older person (like me) or someone in poor health or with respiratory disease can die from the flu you pass on to them!
Do not send a child with a fever to school during flu season.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The Flu (please share)
New postPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 4:16 pm 
Registered Users

Good compilation of Flu data. :oops:

I always have flu (cold) meds ready to go in my cupboard. Dayquil & Nyquil standing by. Your absolutely right when you state that "when you come down with it", the last thing you want to do is go out to the pharmacy. :?

Post subject: Re: The Flu (please share)
New postPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm 
Registered Users

The subject gave me a giggle, but hey, i'm easily amused.

Excellent advice, and probably much-needed. Conventional wisdom isn't always wise.

There are a lot of misconceptions floating around. Frank's post dispels them.

Nowadays nobody ever admits to having a common cold. That would be too common. It doesn't sound dramatic enough to describe how miserable the victim feels. But it can still feel very bad indeed, and it's important to recognize the difference between a cold and influenza. It's rare to die of a cold, but the flu can be a killer.

How can you tell the difference? At the risk of oversimplifying, fever and gastrointestinal issues. Otherwise, treat respiratory symptoms the same way.

I believe in flu shots. If you get the flu after the shot, it's usually not as severe. Some people, even health care professionals, disagree and avoid flu shots. But my belief is supported not only by personal experience and research (remember my belief that for every expert opinion there is an equal and opposite expert opinion), but also by coverage by most insurance. If flu shots were a waste of money, with all the data available to insurance companies, they wouldn't cover the cost.

Frank is retired, so it may not have occurred to him to advise, as for school children, don't go to work with a fever in flu season. (Not even with a cold.) Don't share.

Wash your hands often, and keep your fingers away from your eyes and nose.

Wishing everyone a healthy and happy New Year.