Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Cars From The Past
New postPosted: May 19th, 2013, 10:35 am 
Registered Users

Restaurants From The Past generated such a lively and interesting discussion I thought I would suggest Cars From The Past. What cars have been yours through the years. And why were they so nifty for you. I'll start.

1950 Chevy 2-Door Coupe, grey, 6-cyl, stick, gray. My first car for high school dating. First car I ever "parked" with (in 1959).

1953 Buick Special, mint condition, 2-door, true hard top - no posts, straight 8, mile long hood, Dynaflow, my college car (acquired 1960). Came to a tragic end when I had my grade point avg dropped in my 3rd semester. Dad said leave it home for a semester. I did. Dad gave the keys to my brother for his senior prom. At the prom big-shot brother gave the keys to his unlicensed pal to pick up his date. Pal ran a stop sign, T-boned another car, total loss. No insurance when you give your car to unlicensed driver. No apology, no I'm sorry. Brother and I estranged ever since.

1956 Pontiac 4-door, short and squat beast. Acquired 1964. First family car with new wife. Serviceable but nothing to write about.

1968 VW Camper. First car I bought new. Kids now. Size adequate for 2 adults and 2 young kids. Did a lot of traveling on inexpensive vacations.

1972 Ford Estate Car. Small 4-door, RH drive, fast 4-cyl, provided by Co. at my new job (for 3 yrs) near Cambridge, England. Tore all over England and Scotland with it on holidays (vacations).

After this things get more mundane and not worth a lot of words

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cars From The Past
New postPosted: May 19th, 2013, 11:04 am 
Registered Users

During my older brother's and my high school daze, our dad bought cheap "second" cars that included a Simca Etoile and a little Anglia, followed by a more mundane Falcon (with only the 6). The foreign jobs were not very reliable but were conversation pieces to say the least.

New postPosted: May 19th, 2013, 1:07 pm 
Global Moderators

My favorite was a 1958 Ford Skyliner. It had a full metal top that folded and retractred into the trunk. I only kept it a few years. I forget how many electric motors and solenoids it required to keep it operating, but I grew tired and broke keeping the damned thing in working condition. My most recent prize was a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I totalled it when I hit a hunk of metal on an exit ramp on I-10 and Almonaster. I loved that car, it was a monster! Nowadays I have a 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid. So do Mr. & Mrs. Fury and we all enjoy about 45/50 MPG.

New postPosted: May 20th, 2013, 8:46 am 
Registered Users

I'm 72 now. My BFF Cheech and I sat down over some Scotch one evening (and tried) to count all the cars I've owned. We came up with about 25, tho we may have missed one or two. My favorites:
'53 Chevy BelAir convertible, my first.
'57 Chevy 210 DelRay 2-door, 283 V8 with 3 on the tree. Fast, wish I still had it.
'58 Impala convertible. Black with black top and turquoise (nasty) interior.
'73 Olds Cutlass Supreme, solid white with red interior.
'82 Mustang GT, yellow, 5.0 V8 with 4-speed, a really fun car. Family outgrew the car.

Since the Mustang, we moved to Tennessee, and have owned "practical" cars. We now drive Hondas. I have a '02 Civic with 228,000 miles, and looks and drives great. Still averages 36 mpg. We also have an '07 CR-V. Nice, but no prize winner.

As I stated in another post, I spent way too much $$$ on cars. I had pictures of all of my cars, but they mysteriously disappeared around August 30, 2005.

New postPosted: May 21st, 2013, 10:53 am 
Registered Users

I started with a Morris Minor 2 door like the one below back in '66.
Great little car - 35 MPG....predecessor to the Mini Cooper.
Built by Morris Garages (MG).
My dad had a junk yard on Little Farms Rd (by the second tracks - across from the Conoco Station) when I was a kid so I learned to work on them before I could drive.
Since then I can remember about 35 more cars, pickups and motorcycles.....including a '65 GTO, 1950 Chevy pickup, '58 Ford Wagon w/A/C and power seats/windows...many VW's.
Even had an old Dodge convertible in Hawaii that I think was used in an Elvis movie.
I like my Chevy Silverado right now...6 years trouble free.
...I did just knock on wood 8-)

Attachments:
thCAAE3FFI.jpg
thCAAE3FFI.jpg [ 8.61 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]

New postPosted: May 21st, 2013, 11:34 am 
Registered Users

Jerry's Silverado reminded me that my truck may qualify as "from the past" for this thread, even though I was originally thinking about the vehicles of my yoot'.

My current vehicle is a 1996 Nissan short-bed, short-cab, 4X4 pickup, the last of the old "hard body" Nissan pickups, the year before they came out with the Frontier (pronounced front-shay, like Fortier?). At just over 166,000 miles, it's just barely broken in properly, although it has hauled dozens of tons of driveway gravel and landscaping rock, traveled from one end of I-10 to the other, gone over Donner Pass from Sacramento to Reno with chains in a blizzard (actually the Euer Saddle over the Donner Summit a couple of miles North of the pass), and hauled a full 6'X12' U-Haul trailer to New Jersey. With its matching removable fiberglass shell on the back, chrome package, and alloy wheels, imho it still looks pretty good despite a few minor dings and scratches here and there, at first glance similar to the small SUVs of that era. Since the 2014 models are coming out now, I guess my truck is 18 years old. Good grief, that's as old as my niece who is graduating from high school! In case you couldn't tell, I like my truck. A lot.

New postPosted: May 28th, 2013, 8:33 am 
Registered Users

My first car was a four year old 1962 Rambler American. It had what they called an "E-Stick" transmission, which was a three-speed manual with an automatic clutch. Because Dad was transferred 1500 miles away a year later and decided I needed a much more reliable car, he bought me a brand new 1967 Mustang, straight six, three on the floor, AM radio. I loved that car. After finishing college and getting a real job, I replaced it with a gorgeous new '73 Mustang convertible V8. My first wife's Air Force pilot nephew bought it from her some years later. After a few boring sedans, I bought the new "radically restyled" 1983 Thunderbird. Nice, comfortable car with a voracious thirst for water pumps and A/C compressors. Next came the first of three Mazdas, a '92 MX6, the 2-door coupe version of the 626 sedan. In February '98, I upgraded to my all-time favorite, a Mazda Miata "Special Touring" edition which is now in some landfill in Jefferson Parish. In 2002, PaulaRat moved to Lake Charles and we bought her a new Protégé four-door sedan, and that's the car I inherited from her when she bought her 2008 Toyota Camry convertible shortly after we moved from New Orleans to Richmond. That Camry has been the best car either of us has ever owned, and the Protégé is a close second--I just replaced its timing belt, 20,000 miles after Mazda recommends it, so I plan to drive it a lot more years!

New postPosted: May 28th, 2013, 10:08 am 
Registered Users

PC, we used to have a 94 Protégé with stick shift and crank windows, bought in 1998 with 88,000 miles on it, sold in 2006 with 238,000. The air conditioner would freeze you out (a definite plus), and on a good day it would get 40 mpg. We traded it in on a 2002 MP5 that I liked a lot, but unfortunately it didn't have the durability of its predecessor.