Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How Much Blood Pressure It Too Much
New postPosted: March 11th, 2014, 3:55 pm 
Registered Users

I am in the middle of a controversy right now with the wife and her doctor, which gives me the idea for this discussion with you. As you reach your "mature years"....

AT WHAT POINT DO YOU THINK BLOOD PRESSURE REQUIRES MEDICATION?

Happy to receive your opinions, your acquaintance's, your doctor's, or things you have read.

Our specific quandary is that our doc wants to reduce wife's upper number, while her lower number is always in the 60's. The idea of medication isn't my wife's problem, rather it's the side effects encountered with the two meds already tried.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How Much Blood Pressure It Too Much
New postPosted: March 11th, 2014, 4:21 pm 
Registered Users

Normal blood pressure: Systolic Blood Pressure (SBP) (upper number) less than 120 mm Hg and Diastolic Blood Pressure (DBP) (lower number) less than 80 mm Hg.
With that being the norm, your wife's Diastolic reading in well within normal limits.
Side effects from some anti-hypertensive medications can include dizziness, fatigue, cough and headache. Speak with your health care provider about your concerns. There are many anti-hypertensive drugs without side effects. Some of the older drugs are quite effective and usually less expensive.
Congratulations on addressing this "silent killer" in it's early stages. High blood pressure is both treatable and preventable.
The new hypertension guidelines for persons aged 60 years or older are:
Systolic Blood Pressure (SBP) (upper number) less than 150 mm Hg and Diastolic Blood Pressure (DBP) (lower number) less than 90 mm Hg.
However, depending on other health factors, (diabetes, kidney disease, obesity, age), your physician may suggest other parameters.

New postPosted: March 11th, 2014, 10:23 pm 
Registered Users

In the past, doctors didn't really worry about the top number until it hit 160 and stayed there. They were more concerned with the lower number and if it stayed around 88 or higher, they would start meds. In the past 10 years, there has been a big movement to keep the top number down. It is believed you are at higher risk for heart disease and stroke if you stay over 120/80.
Mine ran 110/60 for years and when I hit 40, it started running 130/90 and I fought going on bp meds. When I gave in though, I realized I had been having headaches that were probably related to my blood pressure.
There are literally dozens of blood pressure meds out there these days and they work differently. There are some that won't work on the lower number as hard as another might. Look up if her current med is a beta blocker. My mom's bp would jump all around and when they put her on a beta blocker, she would nearly pass out after breakfast but after 10 minutes, she was fine for the rest of the day.

New postPosted: March 11th, 2014, 11:00 pm 
Registered Users

Sharky's Pal, the article below gives guidelines for the initiation of pharmacological intervention in the treatment of hypertension for various age groups (Table 1) as well as the names and class of the drugs that are currently prescribed (Table 4). You may want to read this, copy it and use it for a base for talking points with your doctor. You can look up the drugs that have caused your wife's side effects and avoid that class of drug.
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.asp ... id=1791497
Also, another study show that even slightly higher blood pressure may raise stroke risk:
http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/hsn/even ... risk-study

New postPosted: March 14th, 2014, 12:02 am 
Registered Users

deleted - duplicate

New postPosted: March 14th, 2014, 10:17 am 
Registered Users

Frank wrote:
Sharky's Pal, the article below gives guidelines for the initiation of pharmacological intervention in the treatment of hypertension for various age groups (Table 1) as well as the names and class of the drugs that are currently prescribed (Table 4).....
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1791497

Frank, thanks for your info. The JAMA article was particularly informative.