Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Why I don't like to go to the dentist
New postPosted: October 26th, 2009, 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

It's stuff like this that has me leerly:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/pho ... 101432.jpg

The caption reads, "Won't hurt a bit
(Tribune archive photo)
Julia Baines sacrificed vanity in February 1938 to promote regular visits to the dentist by demonstrating the "Analgesia Aerator" for painless dentistry. "

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Why I don't like to go to the dentist
New postPosted: October 27th, 2009, 9:13 am 
Registered Users

The dentist we had as a kid was semi-retired, and very inexpensive. He also did not use any kind of anesthesia unless you were having an extraction. It was good preparation for childbirth. Fast forward to mid-twenties, another place, another life, another dentist. This one insisted I have gas as well as whatever they injected. Kept insisting that if it were deadened, I'd be fine. It wasn't even a root canal, just preparation for a crown. He won, and I had to bolt from the chair to get sick. Not a pretty sight, and I found another dentist who was sane. (Edited to complete.)

New postPosted: October 28th, 2009, 12:51 pm 
Registered Users

I grew up in southern New Jersey. My dentist didn't use any anesthesia on us. After the torture was over, they gave you a coupon for a free ice cream cone. Talk about a way to get repeat business. :roll:
When I moved here in the early 70's I went to a dentist in the MB building. He was great! Never had a fear of going to see him. He also gave cinnamon Lavoris mouthwash for rinsing out duing the work.
After he passed, I started to go to one in Gretna. He is ok but his son is taking over the business and he is great. Root canals, crowns are no big deal. He is very gentle and takes his time. :D

New postPosted: October 28th, 2009, 1:58 pm 
Registered Users

Missyme, who do you go to in Gretna? I'd like to get my teeth cleaned.
My regular dentist is in Covington & I don't have time to go there before I'd like to.

Appreciate the referrence!

Click on the Amazon Icon to Make a Purchase from Amazon.com & help Support our Forums!

Profile Send private message  

New postPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:08 pm 
Registered Users

Dr. Dimarco. He is on Gretna Blvd. in a 2 story office building right before the old Putt Putt.(if you are traveling south on gretna Blvd.) His son Damon is my dentist. :D

New postPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:18 pm 
Global Moderators

Mrs. Fury likes to go to Dr. Mark Schott in Lakeview (Signorelli Bldg. where Rockery Inn useta be) because he is "hot". He's been my dentist, too, for a lotta years.

New postPosted: October 30th, 2009, 12:29 pm 
Registered Users

missyme wrote:
Dr. Dimarco. He is on Gretna Blvd. in a 2 story office building right before the old Putt Putt.(if you are traveling south on gretna Blvd.) His son Damon is my dentist. :D

Oh sure, my best friend has gone to him for many years. I used to go to Dr. Rooney next door. He was my first dentist & he did magic tricks. At the young age of 8, I thought he was just the best! Easy on the eyes too. For sure I thought he & Dr. Dimarco had retired by now.

Thanks for the reference, I'll give them a call.

Click on the Amazon Icon to Make a Purchase from Amazon.com & help Support our Forums!

Profile Send private message  

New postPosted: October 30th, 2009, 1:58 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
missyme wrote:
I grew up in southern New Jersey. My dentist didn't use any anesthesia on us. After the torture was over, they gave you a coupon for a free ice cream cone. Talk about a way to get repeat business. :roll:
When I moved here in the early 70's I went to a dentist in the MB building. He was great! Never had a fear of going to see him. He also gave cinnamon Lavoris mouthwash for rinsing out duing the work.
After he passed, I started to go to one in Gretna. He is ok but his son is taking over the business and he is great. Root canals, crowns are no big deal. He is very gentle and takes his time. :D

When I moved to Tulsa, my boss recommended a wonderful dentist who was only a block away from the office. I went to him for 20 years and he performed miracles on my teeth and it was all painless. He retired last December and a child took over his practice. I like the child, also. He has a good technique and he also has a new handy dandy machine that make crowns while-u-wait. No more tin cans, no more waiting for two weeks, no repeat visits. Grind it down, take the impression and in an hour you have a new crown. The weird part is is that he's left-handed. After >50 years of having a dentist work on my from my right, it's different to have all the props reversed to have the dentist be able to work from the left.