Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Need a Mason
New postPosted: July 4th, 2009, 10:09 am 
Registered Users

Anybody know one? Have bricks in the corner of the house cracking. Shoring guy said it's not the slab, just normal corner cracks, and the mason he used to know has retired.

So who does brick woik aroun' NewAwlyunz (and expecially Harahan)?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Need a Mason
New postPosted: July 4th, 2009, 2:45 pm 
Geez, I thought you were looking for a men's club! Are there any Masons around here? I don't think I've ever seen a lodge. Strange bunch - interesting to read about them in concert with Kipling.

New postPosted: July 4th, 2009, 8:41 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
bdavid wrote:
Geez, I thought you were looking for a men's club! Are there any Masons around here? I don't think I've ever seen a lodge. Strange bunch - interesting to read about them in concert with Kipling.

They still have active Masonic Lodges in New Orleans, and in fact, the one my great-uncle belonged to waaaaay back in 1932, at the time of his death, is still active. I understand it was a huge family drama at one time because my great-uncle was a Mason and was having a Masonic funeral at the Scottish Rite Cathedral. His sister refused to attend the funeral and tried to talk her other brother, my grandfather, into not attending because of the Mason thing being contrary to their Catholic beliefs. My grandfather of course ignored his sister and went the funeral anyway.

Last edited by OkieYat on July 5th, 2009, 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

New postPosted: July 4th, 2009, 11:25 pm 
Registered Users

I know there are mason's in the area. I've been watching a guy build a brick fence on Barataria Blvd. for this big blue house. The fence is not your ordinary fence, it's true work of art, IMO. Don't know who he is, but it shows, they are out there!

New postPosted: July 5th, 2009, 12:02 pm 
Registered Users

Got any reputable brickyards? BBB? They might be able to give references.

New postPosted: July 5th, 2009, 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

bdavid wrote:

Mike and I recently watched a show on the History Channel about how our nation's Founding Fathers set up the federal government patterned after the Masonic constitution and traditions. George Washington and lots of the others were depicted (in period art work, I assume) wearing the Masonic apron. The next episode went on to describe how the streets of Washington, D.C., our money, and the federal buildings and monuments hold Masonic symbols/symbolism.

It was rather fascinating and likely to be true, for the most part. A third episode had some whacked conspiracy theorists who seemed to be over the edge in describing a small number of individuals and/or families who secretly rule the world.

New postPosted: July 6th, 2009, 4:21 am 
Registered Users

TheMIL wrote:
I know there are mason's in the area. I've been watching a guy build a brick fence on Barataria Blvd. for this big blue house. The fence is not your ordinary fence, it's true work of art, IMO. Don't know who he is, but it shows, they are out there!

MiL, where on Barataria? I might go get my hair cut down that way & if I do I can look to see if there is a sign of the fence contractor.
This guy might know a mason.

Click on the Amazon Icon to Make a Purchase from Amazon.com & help Support our Forums!

Profile Send private message