Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 17th, 2017, 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help with attachment!
New postPosted: January 10th, 2009, 9:03 pm 
Registered Users

I had no problem posting a picture of my son and his cat, but I'm trying to post a picture of what the current location of Tony Angello's first restaurant, The Black Orchid looks like now, on/around Caton St and my screen goes to blank page.

― John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Help with attachment!
New postPosted: January 10th, 2009, 9:08 pm 
Site Admin

Suzy Wong wrote:
I had no problem posting a picture of my son and his cat, but I'm trying to post a picture of what the current location of Tony Angello's first restaurant, The Black Orchid looks like now, on/around Caton St and my screen goes to blank page.

Email it to me, Suzy, and I'll take a look and see what's up...could be that some maintenance earlier today by Bart might have resulted in some changes (like the YouTube feature not working).

New postPosted: January 10th, 2009, 9:16 pm 
Global Moderators

Mr. Lake wrote:
Suzy Wong wrote:

Email it to me, Suzy, and I'll take a look and see what's up...could be that some maintenance earlier today by Bart might have resulted in some changes (like the YouTube feature not working).

h....or the pic itself may have some restriction against it being reproduced elsewhere. There are ways around that, too!

The Black Orchid? Mary, you mean the Black Orchid in Gentilly? Was it connected with Philip Amaan?

New postPosted: January 10th, 2009, 11:54 pm 
Registered Users

Hi Mr Lake and CopCop,
I was trying to hit up ;) the Caton St Mobile post office :lol: not too far from my house, and I took a pic of the place, my mom and dad said they went there when it was the Black Orchid many years ago. It's boarded up, but the black tile is beautiful IMO. I love ols stuff.

Not sure Cop, I'll ask my dad tomorrow.

i will email it tonight or in the morning. Thank you both! And ps the words in the picture look backwards because my phone has a 360; swivel sp? camera....

New postPosted: January 11th, 2009, 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Attachment:
SuzyWong.jpg
SuzyWong.jpg [ 57.9 KiB | Viewed 132 times ]

Here it is. It was too large (over 900 kb) for the forum software. I reduced the color depth without changing the size. Click on the photo for a larger view.

New postPosted: January 11th, 2009, 3:33 am 

Mr. Lake wrote:
Attachment:
SuzyWong.jpg

Here it is. It was too large (over 900 kb) for the forum software. I reduced the color depth without changing the size. Click on the photo for a larger view.

Oh My God. I swear that I pictured "that salon" . "your" salon. I used to laugh at the name. I have to tell you that Mike and I used to laugh and actually take pics of the odd signs in the city and that was one of them.

I used to ride my bike to the library on Norman Mayer when I was a yoot. The Black Orchid was there. In that spot. The post office on Caton was "the" post office for people in Gentilly. Everyone was so nice. My mom went to a beauty parlor on Caton. I used to sit there and spin in the hair chairs while she sat under the dryer to set her hair.

So, suzy- if you don't mind me asking: do you live in N.O. east or Gentilly? Or inbetween?

New postPosted: January 11th, 2009, 4:15 pm 
Registered Users

Thank you Mr Lake! I wanted to post it in the Nostalgia? forum, but I don't want to be a pain in the be-hind :oops:

:) No problem Maria! I'll try not to ramble.

In between....AHHAA That's about right! I believe before they put up the danziger bridge over the Industrial Canal, it was considered Gentilly. Depends on the map. Do you remember the Sky View drive in? I live a talented rock throw from there.
I lived around here until I was 7 or 8, moved to Lakeview then when I was 28/29 moved back here. At first I prefered Lakeview, but ultimately settled in. I could go on but I will try not too.....

I think I have a picture of my hosue, I'll try to find it. I like to think with a few more plam trees, it could be Miami in the 50's-60's (house appearance wise)

New postPosted: January 11th, 2009, 4:38 pm 
Registered Users

szw- you can talk as long as you want to!