Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 9:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Suspended - Was It Just Me?
New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 9:33 am 
Registered Users

Or was the whole Lake in suspenders for a while dis mawnin'?

Clicked in for a quick forum visit from home just before 7 and got a service suspended message.

Tried again on the BlackBerry while watching a train on Central on the way to work, same story.

Now everything looks normal (or as normal as we get around here).

Anybody else experience this?

Anybody know why? (Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?)

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Suspended - Was It Just Me?
New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 9:43 am 
Site Admin

schatze called this to my attention this morning. I contacted the guy who hosts the site and he had it fixed immediately. He called it a "technical glitch". Schatze suspected that it was due to "too much volume" (a joke re: what TF might say in the same circumstance but I suspect he might blame it on Russian hijackers).

New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 9:45 am 
Registered Users

Chawlie asked, "Or was the whole Lake in suspenders for a while dis mawnin'?"

I saw "Mr." Lake this morning and Mr. Lake was indeed in suspenders. Something about not wanting to be caught with one's pants down. However, as Chawlie has noted, the pants seemed to have been briefly down this morning. Hey, at least the briefs weren't down :D .

G. J.

New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 10:27 am 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
Definition of Technical Glitch: Someone, probably in a country that most Americans can't find on a map, honked something up and they don't want to admit it.

New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 6:15 pm 
Registered Users

OkieYat wrote:
Definition of Technical Glitch: Someone, probably in a country that most Americans can't find on a map, honked something up and they don't want to admit it.

One of the first things I learned working overseas was, "No problem" usually means, "I'm not sure what you're saying and I want you to go away, preferably happy, but the main thing is please go away."

Other translations of "no problem" involve advice to follow up and check all the details for yourself.

A pearl beyond price was one old Indian admin assistant who would actually come to you with, "Sir, I have a doubt," and ask intelligent questions needed to help him understand enough to complete a task. (After his 15 years in the Middle East, all three of his kids have U.S. PhDs.)

Sometimes I have fun on customer service lines to overseas call centers using my few words of Tagalog or (fewer of) Hindi, once my ear decides which will be understood.

New postPosted: August 11th, 2010, 6:41 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
Chawlie wrote:
OkieYat wrote:

One of the first things I learned working overseas was, "No problem" usually means, "I'm not sure what you're saying and I want you to go away, preferably happy, but the main thing is please go away."

Other translations of "no problem" involve advice to follow up and check all the details for yourself.

A pearl beyond price was one old Indian admin assistant who would actually come to you with, "Sir, I have a doubt," and ask intelligent questions needed to help him understand enough to complete a task. (After his 15 years in the Middle East, all three of his kids have U.S. PhDs.)

Sometimes I have fun on customer service lines to overseas call centers using my few words of Tagalog or (fewer of) Hindi, once my ear decides which will be understood.

I work in technical application support for a large multi-national corporation and have learned more about different cultures since offshoring became the rage than I ever could have learned in the 27 hours of Anthropology that I took at UNO.

I was on a conference call the other day with people from India, Argentina, China, Poland and the UK. I commented by IM to a coworker that we needed some of the headphones like they wear at the U.N. Everyone spoke English, but good grief sometimes it's a struggle. I've become friends with some of the people that I work with a lot and am known for my sense of humor, but sometimes my jokes fall flat when I have to stop and explain them. "Screwing up a two car funeral" got some laughs but lost something in the timing when it had to be explained.