Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently April 27th, 2017, 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Watching The Derby
New postPosted: May 10th, 2016, 10:47 pm 
Registered Users

Sat in my hotel room (Inn On The Quay, New Westminster, BC) Saturday, with wife and daughter #3, to watch The Derby. Certain observations came to mind, not noticed in previous years.

The telecast has become like the Super Bowl, with hours of rambling babble before the actual event. Only the SB pre-event dealt more with football than the Derby pre-event dealt with horse racing. So many of the "Derby experts", tapped for their opinions, knew nothing of the actual sport. Hours of BS, with some actual interesting information. It was so time wasting in its content, that my biggest enjoyment after the 15 minutes or so of the race readying and running, was watching the cloud-burst of rain coming down on the costumed fancies. It could have been covered in a nice one hour TV event.

Feel free to add your thoughts. Am I too critical? Am I not appreciating all I should?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Watching The Derby
New postPosted: May 11th, 2016, 3:44 am 
Registered Users

I didn't watch, and haven't in years, but I agree with your thoughts about how little value there is in much of the television programming inflicted on the American (or should I say North American?) public.

It would seem that an hour would be way more than enough time to devote to a horse race that lasts probably a bit less than just one of the batches of commercials. Anything more is just inane bloviation.

I don't watch much TV. Jeopardy when I can, which is weekdays here on Armed Forces Network TV. At home I watch weather and maybe local news, which for some reason also includes national and international news even though it will be in the network news in the next time slot. And, of course during football season I watch both of our professional teams, the Saints and the Tigers. (I remember when a football game, nominally sixty minutes of playing time separated by a quarter hour of half time break, lasted less than two hours instead of nearly four.) I might watch an occasional movie. Otherwise, I read. I believe TV rots your brain, and avoid it mostly.

Post subject: Re: Watching The Derby
New postPosted: May 11th, 2016, 6:55 am 
Registered Users

I had the television on in the living room while I was in the kitchen/dining area preparing for our meal. I admit I would catch a snippet of something that interested me and would walk in the other room to take a quick break. But I wouldn't have settled in to watch the entire Pre-Race broadcast.