Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Desert Gawdin
New postPosted: April 22nd, 2017, 10:15 pm 
Registered Users

How 'bout Sunflower? Hibiscus?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

New postPosted: May 26th, 2017, 9:55 pm 
Registered Users

Like a "Gawdin" pest, chawlie, I gotta pester you about an answer. So whazzup, Doc?

And, just this past week it was finalized: what was left of my over and over and over attempts at a garden plot, has plumb been put away due to yard plumbing: Sprinkler system re-works, and expansions....Guess I'll be beeting my way to 1) Farmers' markets and, alas, supermarkets....With alluv that re-working inside and, especially, outside, seems We have a More Betta Home, and No Gawdens." Oh, woe is me! Can You dig?

New postPosted: May 27th, 2017, 4:22 am 
Registered Users

The tomatoes are finished for the season. The gardener pulled them while I was on vacation. The pepper plants gave me a lot of yield last weekend when I got back, but very few this week. There are almost no flowers, and the leaves are thinning, so I think their season is just about over, too. The sugar cane still looks like bamboo. The banana and canna are thriving.

To give you an idea of the heat, when I leave for work at 6:15 or 6:30, My car tells me it's 85 or 90 out. By 9:00, it's already over 100. When I leave work at (theoretically 4:00) around 4:30 or 5:00, it's more like 105 - 109, although I haven't seen hundred-teens yet. I usually don't like air conditioning blowing directly on me, but in the car, every spring, there comes a time when I have to aim the vents directly at my ownself's self if I don't want to soak my shirt. This year it was April 14.

My potted plants are having a hard time, too. One of the roses died. I put the rest behind columns where they get some afternoon shade, although no doubt they still bake. This week the sparrows decided they like one of my foliage plants, and they seem to have pecked almost all the leaves off, but only on one of the two, go figure.

The mystery plant was giant sunflower. Some are taller than I am. The heat is hard on them, too, even as rugged as they are. They can't retain enough water to maintain their turgor, or maybe they can't develop enough fiber overnight to strengthen the stem, so the weight of the flowers is making them bend their heads down.

In a few hours, just before dark when it cools off a little, I will go upstairs, get my phone, go out back, and take some photos. Then I have to play with them in Paint to reduce the number of picture elements ("pixels") to be able to post them here. Stay tuned.

OK, edited to add photos

Attachments:
File comment: Back wall left to right: banana, canna, droopy sunflowers, sugar cane
resized IMG_20170527_152437.jpg
resized IMG_20170527_152437.jpg [ 243.79 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
File comment: Back wall left to right: green canna, perky sunflowers, purple canna, droopy sunflowers, sugar cane
resized IMG_20170527_152509.jpg
resized IMG_20170527_152509.jpg [ 225.74 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
File comment: Roses and foliage plants behind the columns for a little afternoon shade, one of the foliage plants pecked severely by sparrows. Wonder if it will survive, and how long it will be until they start pecking the other one.
resized IMG_20170527_152555.jpg
resized IMG_20170527_152555.jpg [ 205.89 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
File comment: Sunflowers along right side wall, tallest is over 6' 6"
resized IMG_20170527_152810.jpg
resized IMG_20170527_152810.jpg [ 211.3 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]