Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently October 17th, 2017, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: “SEAking” Out Chow On The Road:…
New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 2:30 am 
Registered Users

:?: When You are traveling, do You seek out, say, seafood dishes, or any other replicas – and there are some pretty dern good replicas Hither and Yon – of Louisiana cuisine?...The query was piqued following this (You’ll please pardon the yawns) late-morning phone conversation with a former client out in St. Rose. After the formals were discussed, we, natcherly, turned to food topics…He’s prepping for a company-conference trip to San Francisco, and said he is “antsy” for some steaming bowls of cioppino, the SF culinary icon…Shoot, hey, when I get to The City, you won’t see me waving credit cards overby Juan’s Flying Burrito! Tasty stuff there, but I can get all the Mex I need here in Tex…Any players?

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: “SEAking” Out Chow On The Road:…
New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 5:51 am 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
I travel a lot for work. When I have time, I try to seek out the local specialty or seafood if it is an area where I think I can get good seafood. Most of the time I don't have time and look to grab something quick. I had lunch in the client company cafeteria yesterday with my client and I told him I don't know what to do if my food doesn't come in a styrofoam carton. It also never fails when I am in London that someone takes me out to eat and it is inevitably Indian, which is at the very bottom of things I would prefer to eat. If I am entertaining a client, I go wherever they would prefer, whether that is what I want or not.

If I am on vacation and landed at my destination, I try to seek out nice local restaurants, but when I'm going from point A to point B, I look for quick, easy bodey fuel to keep going.

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 8:21 am 
Registered Users

I know I'd be banished forever from the "pompous" board for suggesting Cracker Barrel for on-the-road eateries. Their breakfasts are pretty good, and most of the lunch/dinner items are tasty and filling. No way is Cracker barrel close to fine dining, or good local places, but if you just want to eat and run, it's OK. The food is consistant at all their restaurants, but the service may sometime be slow. Sorry, no adult beverages there.

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 9:55 am 
Registered Users

In the Boston area our favorite chain seafood restaurant is "Legal Seafood".

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 10:31 am 
Registered Users

roscoe wrote:
I know I'd be banished forever from the "pompous" board for suggesting Cracker Barrel for on-the-road eateries. Their breakfasts are pretty good, and most of the lunch/dinner items are tasty and filling. No way is Cracker barrel close to fine dining, or good local places, but if you just want to eat and run, it's OK. The food is consistant at all their restaurants, but the service may sometime be slow. Sorry, no adult beverages there.

Cracker Barrel is not something I seek out at home, for sure. But you are right--it has its place when one is traveling. One Friday in Lent in 2000 we found ourselves in Albuquerque, and there was almost no seafood to be found. There, like a beacon on the hill not far from our hotel, was a Cracker Barrel, and we found the catfish we were looking for. Could have had some kind of veggie-egg thing, too, I'm sure. There seem to be more vegetarian offerings available generally these days, but as you and Okie pointed out, sometimes an extended trip to look for the exotic is not in the interest of getting where one needs to go in an expeditious manner. For those times, unexciting but decent chains can be a godsend--especially if one has special dietary needs and knows s/he can get something acceptable there.

Let me say, though, that under ordinary circumstances I usually opt for local establishments and try the signature dishes of the area where I am staying. On that same NM trip I discovered an abiding love for adobo, and NOT at Cracker Barrel.

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 11:32 am 
Registered Users

Eat Where the Locals Eat...
Let's examine That!

Great saying when you ae in places like New Orleans, San Fran or New York.
But "I Ain't going for Dat" in Des Moines, Fargo or Rock Springs!
That's when a Cracker Barrel or a local cafeteria is the best choice.

So to answer your question...
It depends on... WHERE YAT!

aboy

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 8:51 pm 
Registered Users

Location: O-O-O-O-OKLAHOMA! where the wind comes sweepin' down the plain...
I like Cracker Barrel when on the road, also. You can get a good breakfast and it can also be a relatively healthy breakfast as they have fruit, yogurt, granola selections. Decent hot meal if that's what you want with veggies, not just normal burgers and fries that is at most roadside stops. An added plus is the cool old-fashioned candy for sale in the gift shop, some of which I hadn't seen for years.

New postPosted: March 7th, 2012, 10:10 pm 
Registered Users

OkieYat wrote:
An added plus is the cool old-fashioned candy for sale in the gift shop, some of which I hadn't seen for years.

Yeah... They got val-o-milks and the best malted balls

aboy