Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New Surprise
New postPosted: June 9th, 2016, 7:48 pm 
Registered Users

Surprise on Tuesday morning. Found myself in Renown Hospital in Reno having open heart surgery for aortic stenosis. :o

Out of bed this evening, sitting in a chair for my dinner. :shock: Food is totally bland. Chicken piccata for dinner with fettucine, but no sauce to speak of. Hard to type and express my thoughts. Will talk more tomorrow.

Hanging in there.

Art

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Surprise
New postPosted: June 10th, 2016, 2:16 am 
Registered Users

Awt, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Glad you're recovering. Rest and heal.

New postPosted: June 13th, 2016, 5:44 pm 
Registered Users

Unbelievable. New heart valve installed Tuesday am, released from hospital and home (for a long time recuperating) Sunday afternoon. Also unbelievable food restrictions for a while. The pictures on this site, most recently Chawlie's spaghetti sauce, have me drooling. :geek:

New postPosted: June 13th, 2016, 11:37 pm 
Registered Users

Glad to hear you're home. Sorry about the food, but it's in a good cause: your well-being, not to mention prolonging your life expectancy.

Don't feel lonesome about drooling over forum pictures. I do, too, and I suspect others do as well. I eat real food, like spaghetti or gumbo, only 2 or 3 times a week.

Breakfast today was oatmeal cooked in skimmed milk, with a very light touch of Splenda, cinnamon, and a hint of nutmeg. Other breakfast choices include Cheerios or All Bran, but only when they're on sale because over here they cost several times as much as back home. Fortunately, oats are popular and inexpensive here.

Dinner last night was hummus and moutabel (or babaghanoush, like hummus but with eggplant instead of chickpeas) and whole wheat pita. Seems like I find myself eating meatless meals more often these days, not so much by design but often simply because I get full quickly.

Lunch was a turkey sammitch on whole grain bread (with flax seeds) with light mynez and non-fat cheese. If I snack, it's a handful of mixed nuts, unsalted, of course. My rare desserts might be sticky rice with coconut milk (naughty) and sweetener, or multigrain toast with a light spread of soft tub margarine and either sweetened cinnamon or sugar-free jam (semi-naughty).

Most of the time I behave when choosing what to cook and/or eat. My report cards from the labs are pretty good. Sometimes I think I'm going to turn into a chicken or a fish. Before this last batch, the previous spaghetti sauce featured ground chicken. It's very seldom that I eat beef, or even lamb which is popular, tasty, and relatively inexpensive here (at least, it's cheaper than camel, or beef). But when I look at the statistics for life expectancy for people my age, and think about my current medical situation and all the ways I have abused my body over the years, I don't feel so bad about dietary restrictions.

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 7:20 am 
Registered Users

Visiting daughter #2 made dinner last night, after picking up daughter #3 at the airport, for wife and self. We had two packages of portabella mushroom ravioli from Trader Joe's in the fridge. However, our supply of tomato sauce, in-house, was of a style - Herb and Garlic - which my wife uses with various additional add-ins for her pasta dishes.

Because garlic is listed as a no-no right now with one of my meds, daughter #2 spent all day making her own sauce with fresh plumb tomatoes and other fresh ingredients. It was one of the best sauces I have had, with all of the ingredients I could have, and none of the banned ones, and complemented the ravioli perfectly. My wife did a salad of lettuces, artichokes, and olives, which completed our main courses. Everyone was very satisfied and pleased with the meal. I was literally wiping the last drops of the sauce from the pan on the table as I was enjoying it so much after the sauceless dry hospital food.

The two daughters will be doing a shopping trip today and will be doing all the cooking through 'til next Sunday. Like you I experienced a Sketty Sauce weekend. :lol:

New postPosted: June 14th, 2016, 2:37 pm 
Registered Users

My brother says food tastes better when it's cooked with love. Your sketty was probly way mo better than mine.

New postPosted: June 21st, 2016, 7:10 am 
Registered Users

Second (weekly) Anniversary today. Daughters have now departed and wife (only) is now stuck with me. Reconditioned ticker is still ticking away. Sharky (the real Sharky cat) is the most un-effected. Still comes to me when his bowl is empty, ignores me (mostly) otherwise.
8-)

New postPosted: June 21st, 2016, 1:29 pm 
Registered Users

I had an aortic porcine heart valve replacement a few months back. i have much more energy and ,in general, feel better. I also dropped my weight from 270# to 209#. Good luck with your recovery and cardiac rehab.