Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 20th, 2018, 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Happy Father's Day!
New postPosted: June 18th, 2017, 6:58 pm 
Registered Users

Hope all the Dad's on the forum had a wonderful Father's Day! None of the 3 kids came home (two in Atlanta and one in upper Tennessee we are in Alabama) so really quiet here. But DID make the husband a Jalepeno Popper Chorizo Cheesecake. Served it with a side of fruit. He was a very happy camper.
What was on your Father's Day menu?
Courtney

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Happy Father's Day!
New postPosted: June 18th, 2017, 7:13 pm 
Registered Users

Wow, that sounds delish!

New postPosted: June 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm 
Registered Users

happy father's day to all.

Courtney, that cheesecake sounds interesting, can you give us some more information?

New postPosted: June 19th, 2017, 12:38 am 
Registered Users

For me, Fathers' Day was just another ten-hour work day. I got FB messages from 2 out of 4 stepdaughters, for which I suppose I should be thankful, realizing that teenagers (of either gender) often display symptoms of hormone poisoning.

Breakfast was my second attempt at home-baked French bread. It didn't come out light and fluffy, but was better than last time, with fresh yeast. Next time I may let the loaves sit and rise before baking, which this recipe doesn't call for. And next time I need to use Frank's recipe or at least the technique of spraying mist into the oven every five minutes. Unlike last time, this time I had corn flour to make the glaze with. Interesting stuff. I had never heard of it before. Come to find out, it inhibits browning. I was very glad I took the internal temperature after 30 minutes. It was up close to 200 inside, when 190 is enough to declare victory, but the outside had barely started to brown. The glaze that fell on the baking pan came out looking like cellophane. The recipe said sprinkle with cornmeal, then brush on the corn flour glaze. Next time I will reverse those two steps so the cornmeal doesn't get displaced by brushing. But the bread was tasty, with a light spread of Mazola tub margarine and a little no-sugar-added cherry jam.

Lunch was brown pasta and Italian meat sauce with mushrooms, home cooked and brought from the freezer, and nuked in the office microwave. The pasta this time was macaroni. These days I seldom cook any kind of long noodles; saves on my dry cleaning bill. My wife marvels at how I make spaghetti sauce from scratch, but I tell her it's not scratch when I start with tomato paste instead of whole tomatoes. My technique for the sauce is to add a lot of everything I can think of, simmer a few, then taste. If it's out of balance and there's too much of one flavor, add more of everything else. Except salt. I don't use much salt. Repeat until balanced.

Dinner was leftover pancit bihon from Lulu's Hypermarket from Thursday, washed down with Mal-Wart's cheap imitation Crystal Light.

On the bright side, since it was a weekend, I got a double dose of Skype time with my sweet wife in Houston. At 5 Sunday morning here, it's 9 Saturday night there, and she always helps me with breakfast and getting ready for work. Twelve hours later, or maybe a bit more if she sleeps in, it's Skype time again, and I'm eating dinner while she's having breakfast. When we are chatting, the time goes by too fast. Sometimes an hour and a half passes before we know it. As Kermit says, "Time's fun when you're having flies."

New postPosted: June 19th, 2017, 9:02 am 
Registered Users

Thanks for the greetings,LFrined, as I bring up the rear here. Seems as thogh the "stars" that Fell on Alabama were the menu items.

For Our gathering -- verrrry special, I must note to chawlie! -- was so, so special in that Our LSU-grad Sweetie's mom was home from "The Sand Box" to help celebrate Father's Day with her dad, who, thankfully, is home from the hospital: Menu included fried fish: both cat and flounder; BBQ ribs; Texas brisket; smoked Kielbasas; grilled Earl Campbell links; three kinds of potato salads, including a German version, made with red/new 'spuds; grilled corn. and Mrs. C.'s good-enough-to-sell deviled eggs. Desserts were all home-made by my mudder-in-law, a cake-maker from waaaay back, and multi-fruit displays that sorta kinda would have rivaled something from Edible Arrangements!

Aboy: Congrats on the grades. And here's hoping You All will pardon this self-pat on the back: Some here don't know the history of our Young Evan, to whom I often refer. Mrs. C. and I chose to adopt him, as a preemie, and the kid, who has turned 13, just brung (Ooops. He'd correct me), brought home all "A"s. This father is chest-thumping proud. 'Course, at my age even then, we knew, going in, that I'd have to find a way to stay active when he began to grow. Aside from two very keen eyes for art, The Young'un -- Holy Bobby Riggs, Batman (R.I.P. Dick West) -- is taking to tennis. :oops: :o :twisted: :roll: :cry: Why not dominoes or poker or something sorta sedentary-like? Dagnabbit, guess I've been aced!

I did, however, give a silent tribute to my late father -- a railroad man to the core and a self-taught carpenter who would carve out a path for most any son to follow. To this post-Father's Day, his teachings are still a work in progress....Soap Box time, as I cue up Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes, then led by the late Teddy Pendergrass, "Wake Up Everybody...and let's teach the children well."...And, bringing this back to food, Let Us Feed The Children Well. Thanks, All: A Proud Father, also!

New postPosted: June 19th, 2017, 11:32 am 
Registered Users

Happy Father's Day to all. Skyped by two daughters, phoned by the third.

Kind of quiet here is NW Reno. Settled down to watch the weekly NASCAR race, but it wasn't to be. People in a woodsy area west of here near Verdi (on I80 at the CA/NV border) managed to start a fire which eventually spread to about 150 acres. At about 2:00 pm, in the middle of the NASCAR race, we lost power. When I phoned NV Energy, their automated system told me they hoped to have power back on by midnight?! Outside temp was pushing 100. No more air conditioning for the day. Eleven hours predicted without power. Don't dare open the refrigerator door. :?

Power did return early, between 6 and 7. What welcome signs - the fridge and the ac starting up. :)

New postPosted: June 19th, 2017, 2:04 pm 
Registered Users

Lee, the recipe came from a blog called Closet Cooking. I followed the recipe pretty much as written only using 2 jalapenos (the husband could have used more). I think I would have made more crust but it was really good! Do try it. It is GREAT!

New postPosted: June 19th, 2017, 3:16 pm 
Registered Users

Lolly probably didn't have time today to post her photos...

I know she can't post from home...
So I hope she sends the photos on Tuesday.

aboy