Site Logo

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forum

Discussion boards for all who enjoy sharing information about food, drink, restaurants, history...

Mr. Lake's New Orleans Forums
It is currently January 19th, 2018, 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Post subject: "WE ATE AT ALL THE MAIN PLACES"
New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 5:42 am 
Registered Users

Several friends of mine went to NYC for a week for their first time recently. When they returned, I asked them where/what they had eaten while they were there. They responded, "We ate at all the main places." I asked them for specific restaurants to which they replied, Bubba Gumps, Planet Hollywood, Applebee's, Hardrock Cafe. I always feel somewhat sorry for people who do not explore with food or any other aspect of life. I am not judging them and I do not even mean that everyone should be constantly search for new and better things in life, but I feel the most sorry for people who do not even realize that there are endless new experiences out there for everyone. Even if you do not explore new things, it is nice to know that they at least exist. I could not imagine going to NYC and not exploring the ridiculous numbers of restaurants and cuisines that are available there. We go to the city as often as we can and we still are never able catch up on the new places and old places that we have yet to visit for food and drinks there.

Profile Send private message E-mail  

Post subject: Re: "WE ATE AT ALL THE MAIN PLACES"
New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 6:21 am 
Registered Users

P-When you are not familiar with the area, you dont know the good spots. Some folks are too bashfull to ax. Not me. LOL.

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 7:46 am 
Registered Users

That is why it is so great to have a friend like me. I know everything. All you have to do is make one call and your answers are there. Very good system....................................................

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 7:48 am 
Registered Users

misriveria wrote:
P-When you are not familiar with the area, you dont know the good spots. Some folks are too bashfull to ax. Not me. LOL.

My main point is that they do not know to ask for anything else. They only know that those types of places exist. They have no comprehension that there are Le Bernardins and Gray's Papayas and New Yeah Shanghais and ................................

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 10:08 am 
Registered Users

Ok, so we're going to New York in December with our 2 college-aged kids, neither of whom has ever been to New York (and my husband and I haven't been in many years). There is so much to chose from that I am overwhelmed! We want to go to some nice places, some "local" places, as much as we can fit in. so what do you suggest? If we need reservations, I should probably be on that right away. thanks!!

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 10:26 am 
Registered Users

What do you enjoy eating? What price range? Just use opentable.com for reservations. Much easier than calling. Tasting menus usually run from $350.00-$600.00 or more each withour wine. Many are really great. My favorite tasting menu is at Craft during truffle season. They serve me ridiculous amounts of food with tons of fresh truffle added. Le Bernardin has a great tasting menu for lunch and dinner. I have had some 23 course nine course dinners there that where really wonderful. They served me a nine dessert course once where each item was based on fresh passion fruit. Passion fruit and mangosteen are my two favorite fruits. That was incedibly great. Their tasting menu is $350 or $450 each without wine if I remember correctly. You can look at their prices and rules on opentable.com when you are looking at reservations. Give me some idea of what you are looking for.

Last edited by PNG on October 4th, 2009, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 10:47 am 
Registered Users

PNG wrote:
What do you enjoy eating? What price range? Just use opentable.com for reservations. Much easier than calling. Tasting menus usually run from $350.00-$600.00 or more each withour wine. Many are really great. My favorite tasting menu is at Craft during tryffle season. They serve me ridiculous amounts of food with tons of fresh truffle added. Le Bernardin has a great tasting menu for lunch and dinner. I have had some 23 course nine course dinners there that where really wonderful. They served me a nine dessert course once where each item was based on fresh passion fruit. Passion fruit and mangosteen are my two favorite fruits. That was incedibly great. Their tasting menu is $350 or $450 each without wine if I remember correctly. You can look at their prices and rules on opentable.com when you are looking at reservations. Give me some idea of wat you are looking for.

I don't think we'll be taking the kids to anything that's $350 to $450 per person -- I really think it would be wasted on them. and I don't think my severely ADHD son could sit still through 23 courses!

We like eating most anything, except I hate German food. We'll be there 5 nights. I'm sure we can find lots to eat just walking around aimlessly, but I'd like to have at least a couple of things planned. We saw Adolfo Friday night at La Boca (he was talking Orestes' place for the night! even dressed in a black shirt for the occasion!) and he recommended Lupa, Peasant, and Peter Luger.

New postPosted: October 4th, 2009, 12:06 pm 
Registered Users

You could not pay us to eat any of Mario Batali's places. In our experience, they are all horrible. If I suggested to my Sweetie that we ever return to Lupa, she would shoot me and then spit on me before setting my carcass on fire. The food and service at his places have consistently been horrible for us. I will put together a list of a few places today when I am able.

Last edited by PNG on October 4th, 2009, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next